TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How do you get paint coverage in these areas??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 8:44pm
Do it like the factory did it. 
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 10:39pm
The factory used low pressure guns,  not HVLP,  on the end of a long hose.  With no high pressure air,  then there is no problem.
The reason most spray guns , syphon or top loader ,  guns have a problem getting paint coverage in enclosed spaces is because they all spray air first when you first pull the trigger, then maybe a half second later paint follows.
So you pull the trigger, the air is going into the enclosed area, hits the end, and reverses, meets the paint coming in and stops it.
That's why if you reduce the pressure at the gun,  the weight of the paint going into a recess can overcome the just air coming out of the recess.

Or if you insist on using two guns,  use a detail gun,  which always uses a lot less pressure,  and doesn't have as much of a air reversal problem with recesses.

Years ago I was using the two gun method until I put some thought into what was happening, and realized I could get the same result with one gun,  just by putting the gun on stream,  with low pressure,  cover the recessed areas,  them put the gun back on full fan, and normal pressure, and paint the rest. 
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2021 at 12:27am
Harbor freight one of the small touch up gun with the 1 pint cup on them works great in small areas and door jams were you don't want major over spray
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 12:34am
As with most things automotive, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Another method that's has worked for me is the use of a small aerosol paint system. 
This is just one brand:   Preval-0225-2-Pack/dp/B00CW809ZO/ref
The first time I got to see this system work was with a mobile (auto dealership), who was sent out to refinish some factory airbag scratches on the dash of a brand new car. The mobile repairman explained the use of this system. He could mix his own paint on the spot and the very low air pressure from this system was great for working inside of a car. The low aerosol can keep the overspray to a minimum and he could work in very tight places. 
I have used this system to refinish some very tight spaces ( underside of car, engine compartment, interior, etc.) over the years. The system is very cheap. If using bc/cc system you would need to apply the BC first and then when I mixed clear for the entire engine compartment, I would add the clear with this system in the tight area, then apply the clear to the remainder of the engine compartment.
 I have noticed the paint needs to be thinned for the tight area and then move back to the conventional air compressor paint system. 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 7:24am
 At one of the dealerships I worked at the had a person come around and do the vinyl dash repairs on used cars.
The air brush she used was powered by her blowing into a tube,  there was no moisture filter that I could see in the air line.  But I saw no ill effects immediately after she applied the paint or dye.
I have no idea about the long term effects on the repair,  or her .  Because to do this she couldn't wear a mask.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 8:47am
Thanks again for all the replies. I had forgotten about the Preval spray system. I may give that a try.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
H60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 11:01am
You just go to a paint shop and have a rattle can mixed with your paint code. I do that for my blazer blue metallic and engine color of caravell blue. Works good for me. 
Mike 1968 Blazerblue 390,4sp AMX
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by H60 H60 wrote:

You just go to a paint shop and have a rattle can mixed with your paint code. I do that for my blazer blue metallic and engine color of caravell blue. Works good for me. 

I have one. Thanks.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 3:41pm
Oh god... I struggled with that spot next to the radiator. It was hard to sandblast too. I ended up taking the gun and putting many coats until it looked covered. As others have stated do all the hard spots first then do an all over even coat. For some of us a spray can is not an option. I painted the bay with a single stage urethane that came in two parts. If your using old school enamel paints than you could try the spray bomb approach. Also I painted the battery tray separately and installed it later.
Cruzer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2022 at 8:56am
I used a Devilbiss Starting Line touch-up gun from Eastwood to do mine. I never use the original pots with any of my spray guns though because they drip out the vent hole if you turn them sideways. Eastwood has the DeKups system which uses a plastic bag in a holder that attaches to the gun. They make a small 9 ounce size DeKups system that lets me operate the gun in any position, including upside down, without any drips. Works great in engine compartments and trunks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic