TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC V8 to T-400 trans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2021 at 5:40am
mramc is correct on the changes to the six - bell to engine bolt pattern changed to be the same as the V-8 in 1972 along with the change to Chrysler auto trannys -- and the starter switched sides. The flexplate/flywheel changed to a larger diameter also. Physically the 72+ six flexplate/flywheel interchanges with the V-8, but the V-8s have a balancing weight cast into the flywheel/welded to the flexplate... different weights for different engine sizes.

Wardog -- you just trying to replace the starter? The shim should come off the old starter and go on the new.
Frank Swygert
Wardog View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2021 at 5:51am
No what I'm trying to replace is the Flexplate for a 327 AMC
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2021 at 1:12pm
Don't know about the flex plate but I did have a 77 Wagoneer 360 with a TH400. It had some kind of adapter plate between the engine and tranny.
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2021 at 2:32pm
thats strange ... i bought a 360 with a TH400 and select track T case hooked to it and it didn't have a spacer.  it was out of a J20.
its the little things that make the biggest difference
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2021 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

Don't know about the flex plate but I did have a 77 Wagoneer 360 with a TH400. It had some kind of adapter plate between the engine and tranny.
  1977?  I have a 1976 and 78 TH400s and they both have the AMC bellhousing pattern 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2021 at 6:30pm
Mine was probably the same. I remember taking out the transfer case and transmission to have the reverse band replaced. Are you saying there was no plate between the engine and transmission? 

I did that job way back in 1985 0r 86. At the same time I fixed the reason the reverse band failed. I backed up a snow bank not in low range to jamb a willow stick into the gas tank to plug a hole that started dripping on our way to Ft. St. John in B.C. The hole got a nut brazed over it and after that the tank had a drain plug.

I found out that although Jeep Wagoneers were almost worthless in Vancouver, they were a hot ticket item in Whitehorse up in the Yukon.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2021 at 6:38pm
When we got back to Ft.St.John I bought an 81 big size Cherokee. IIRC it had locking hubs up front and maybe the Chrysler transmission. It got somewhat better fuel economy than the quadratrac. 

Edited by vinny - Dec/15/2021 at 6:29am
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2021 at 6:59pm
That 327 flexplate set was mine, and I sold it earlier this year. Every once in a while, you will find someone who has parts to sell from one of those conversions. Mine was from a 66 Jeep with a 327 and TH-400.

Originally posted by Wardog Wardog wrote:

No what I'm trying to replace is the Flexplate for a 327 AMC
Wardog View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2021 at 10:43am
Yep that's exactly what we have

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic