TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

hydraulic clutch 62 Metropolitan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LynnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hydraulic clutch 62 Metropolitan
    Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 10:20am
I have not worked on an AMC since the 70's.
I am helping an elderly gentlemen with a 1962 Metropolitan.  Car has not run in 5 years.   It is a really nice example that he painted 20 some years ago.

I am considering getting it running for him before he sells it.   I went to see it yesterday.   I expected the brake pedal to go to the floor.  It did not.  To my surprise, the pedal holds and the brakes actually work.
However, there is virtually zero resistance on the clutch pedal.   I guess it has hydraulic clutch linkage.  I was a bit surprised.  Pretty advanced for 1962.

I didn't spend a lot of time with it yesterday, but didn't see a clutch master (or slave for that matter) and was not able to put the car in the air.  It is sitting in a dirty car port right now. 

Surely, I can access the clutch master without raising the car.   Is there an access panel in the floor?  Any pictures would help immensely.

Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 10:42am
There appears to be an oval plate in the floor, retained by screws, that should be removable.

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
LynnB View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LynnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 4:26pm
Well, that makes sense.   Both my Studebakers have frame mounted brake master cylinders accessed the same way.  I will add some dot 4 and see where the fluid is leaking.

Thanks.
LynnB View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LynnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 4:30pm
Is it save to assume that a 1962 model would have the second type slave?

Is it dependent on year of production?
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 4:47pm
Since Metropolitan production ended in April, 1961, I'd say you can safely assume that the '62 model has the second type slave.

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 11:41pm
I used to own a 1961 Metropolitan. 
- The access panel in the driver's floor will only give you access the master cylinder (brake and clutch) reservoirs.  There should be a flap in the carpet to access the panel.  IIRC, about 6 sheet metal screws and a gasket to prevent water from splashing in. 
- Any work to either master cylinder needs to be done from under the car.
- Sorry, but I don't know which slave cylinder you would have.  Again, IIRC, they stopped building the Metropolitan in 61.  If you have a 62, its just a left over 61 that wasn't sold until 62.
- There is a Metropolitan forum that can be loads of help: 
I have it bookmarked as:  http://metropolitan.freeforums.org/ 
but it redirects you to its new url:  https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/metropolitan/index.php

Good luck.  I really miss mine.  It was fun.
Bill O.
70 AMX
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2021 at 11:22am
This place is local to me and has a long and excellent reputation. They even sell Met parts retail! They're looking for a mechanic, if anyone's capable and in the market for a job... I have friends that know them. 

They're fun little cars. There's a regular in the SoCal TT crowd that used to drive one (and will again, if he can find someone to help out with engine work, he's got physical limitations) 'at speed' -- don't laugh, they are Austin Healeys under there somewhere, and do better than you'd think, though they look funny coming out of a turn at speed. The folks he's chasing don't laugh much, lol.

http://www.socaltt.com/

Edited by tomj - Oct/18/2021 at 11:25am
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by LynnB LynnB wrote:

Surely, I can access the clutch master without raising the car.   Is there an access panel in the floor?  Any pictures would help immensely.

Cars of this era are lay-on-the-ground-for-brake-work as Troutwilly says. Master cyl in the floor. My 60 American is like that. You can top off fluid (and get dirt in the hole, etc) from the drivers floor, the Rambler. But R & R is from underneath on that car.

Consider a remote reservoir setup, if you're going that far. A full modern master cyl conversion etc is probably not in the plans, but if he's gonna drive it regularly maybe ask the Pitstop folk about remote reservoirs for the stock masters.

By the way, don't call me Shirley!

(Airplane!)
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic