TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

seat belts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2022 at 2:20pm

Using your photo above as a reference, you’ll have to remove the short screw shown in the LH corner, the two longer screws at the opposite end of the piece, the vinyl-covered kick panel below that held on with spring-loaded wire clips (there are inexpensive special tools made for this) which will expose 3 more screws at the bottom of the plastic piece. The top of the plastic piece has a long ‘L’ flange clip that is metal and is riveted to the plastic - it goes into the groove between the pinch-weld and the weatherstrip and 1/4 window. Once all of the fasteners are removed, start at the riveted-on clip and lift up just enough for the clip to clear and slightly roll out/twist the top away from the 1/4 window. Now go to the opposite end of the plastic piece and ease it out - it should come out. That riveted-on clip is the major PITA in my opinion. Installation is the reverse of removal. 

It goes without saying to try not to break this part - there used to be repros available but I’m not sure if they still are and if they are they’ll be pricey. And like all repros, they’re not 100% identical to the originals. 

Edited by sweatlock - Sep/30/2022 at 2:27pm
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2022 at 2:21pm
I found the shoulder belt anchor points in my 1969 AMX.  It IS a 3/8-16UNC hole as has already been noted by someone else here.  Once I had the sail panels removed I was able to use some sticky butyl rubber stuck to the head pf a screw in the hole.  The butyl transferred to the inside of the inside of the sail panel and was a guide on where to make the hole.

So, that's done.  I did discover along the way that they anchor hole location for the 1968 AMX is different from that on the 1969 AMX.  It seems that it could also be true that the shoulder belt anchor location on 1969 models may vary.

Now, I need to find a three-point seat belt that will work given the known upper anchor point and the two anchors in the floor for each seat.

Thanks again to all those who helped!

dave

roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2022 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

I think he wants to install a modern set with an inertia reel in the shoulder belt.  If his car has a shoulder belt, IIRC required after 1/1/68, there is no cutting, welding....   it's a bolt in.    So what is a good retrofit? 

Steve,

Yes, you are correct.  I want to install a modern set with an inertia reel in the shoulder belt.
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2022 at 10:06pm
Here's one place I know of:

As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure I got mine from J.C.Whitney, which looks like is now CarParts.com and useless because there's no AMC selection.

Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic