TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Intake/camshaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 70,71,72 AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 6:00am
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

Wouldn't it be best to ask SC397 these questions? 

What he said.....
Bruce in NW Ohio
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 6:33am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Take a look at this page:
These guys are making Chev grind cams for and AMC. It's backwards. An AMC needs the intake cylinder charge more then the exhaust - especially with an Edelbrock head.
If you want the 6000 RPM top range, then this would be the off the shelf camshaft in my opinion:
But it's still not right. Put 1.7 rocker ratio and it's getting close to the 600 HP range.
That's if your plan is to drive this car on the street also.

With 1.7:1 rockers, such as the LS conversion, your valve lift goes to .550" I/.579 E. 

That's a crapload of valve lift on a street engine. You don't want pistons and valves shaking hands here.

So clearance becomes one more concern.

BUT... I do like the thought process behind this!

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 7:11am
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

Wouldn't it be best to ask SC397 these questions? 

Nice insult to Rick. Should just build it himself. Then no one to blame but himself
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 7:34am
Rick is one of the best and knows his stuff. Do you have any idea how many engines he has turned away this year alone? For someone that busy, I'd be extremely grateful that he even offered to help, and trusting of his advice. Let him do things his way, he doesn't need any input from the internet. You won't be sorry.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 11:33am
^^^^^^^X 1,000,000^^^^^^^^
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 12:29pm
Insult to Rick? He said Rick is building the engine so whats the problem? 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 1:24pm
I didn't see it as an insult at all, just a suggestion to ask the man in charge. 
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Nice insult to Rick. Should just build it himself. Then no one to blame but himself
   this was ment in NO WAY as a insult to Rick at all...ive just been out of the game so long i have no idea what kinda cool stuff if out there anymore..
  And im blessed to have rick take on this project for me.. and we have chatted ( love his accent hahah ) can tell hes a totally cool guy.
  but ive really liked checking out those links.....but its up to DR Rick to tell me what i REALLY need to order.

Edited by Repsolroger - Sep/22/2021 at 2:32pm
1969 sst javelin restomod
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 3:45pm
For my 1970 390 with e-heads and edelbrock Efi kit. Bullet recommended a 232/238/112 hyd roller. My car is a 4 speed and has power brakes. I’m months away from having it running, so I can’t confirm if this is a good combo or not. 

I’m sure Rick will give you some great advice. 

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 5:40pm
Actually looking at the Herbert cam again with a 1.6 ratio rocker, looks quite good. 0.533, intake lift, 0.550 exhaust, 1.1 to 1.0 exhaust to intake  ratio which would be better the other way with an AMC.
But off the shelf with an intake closing 38 ABDC and the exhaust opening 49 BBDC. It's not bad at all in my opinion. VG intake charge and power to exhaust open points. Small amount of EGR effect will up cylinder pressure slightly for slightly more HP.
Have a play:
Look what happens if you reverse the intake and exhaust durations. A real nice AMC cam.
It should make 570 to 580 HP with the intake and heads as is.
Moving to a 1.5 exhaust ratio will not have any significant effect on HP - on paper!

Edited by Trader - Sep/22/2021 at 5:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic