TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strut Rod Bushing Parts- 1 piece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut Rod Bushing Parts- 1 piece
    Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 3:57pm

Quite some time ago on my '67 Ambassador, I redid the front end including new bushings.  I had very short life from the one-piece strut rod bushings and replaced them with a two piece rubber design.  That was many thousand miles ago.  The two-piece design has served me well.

Not too long ago, I got my '68 Ambassador wagon.  I replaced the strut rod bushings with one-piece parts.  I could no longer find a source for the two piece parts.  After way too few miles, the one on the left side is falling apart as shown in the picture.  The left side looks better but is making clunking noises.

Does anyone have a source for the two-piece bushings?  For instance, is there a cross reference for another vehicle?  Any advice on how to get some life out of the one piece bushings?

Also, I have a set of two-piece poly bushings.  They are __so__ stiff.  I've been reluctant to use them.  I'm imagining they put a bunch of twist back on the connection to the frame.  Do they cause the strut rod to flex?  Do they let the suspension travel its normal amount?  Do they drive differently?  Do they make a lot of noise and vibration?

Anything you experienced folks can tell me will be appreciated.

Bruce Clarkson

Bruce Clarkson
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 4:13pm
imo,
I advise my AMC clients to use polly either on the strut rods or the control arms but not both.
so imo, the polly bushings for your strut rods is a great ideal since the piece bushings aren't work well for you.
again imo, it reduces the amount of flex when braking or heavy acceleration which keeps the tires in alignment better ====  better tire wear..
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 9:53pm
There's two different strut rod setups, different diameters, and swaged front-dish retainer and nut front dish retainer. Which do you have?  It's been 10 years so I won't go by memory.

THere's a break around 1965, you may be on the "good" side of that break.

Here's my page on the earlier struts: https://www.sr-ix.com/AMC/Strut-bushing/index.html

ANd here's my spreadsheet entry for part numbers on the "modern" strut rod bushing kits:

Perfect Circle, McQuay-Norris FA685; Moog FA-685? Better part?; NAPA 274-9054, MOOG K8157, MK8157 is a Ford part, with AMC instructions. Moog K3090 no longer exists, but Mevotech MK8157 does and references K3090. Dorman 531-650.

PS: "New old stock" rubber explodes like that, your photo, because it's too old to use, new or not. The danger here, just generally, is that even the "modern" bushings are approaching "too old". Rubber goes bad sitting on a shelf.

I have some 10 year old control arm bushings for the early Americans, and I'm selling them -- they need to get used soon. I've just given up on store-bough bushings on "my" cars (I'm only doing 58 to 63 Americans from here out) and I make my own from low-durometer poly. The stuff I'm using is super soft.

Edited by tomj - Sep/21/2021 at 9:57pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 4:24pm
Thanks to both of you for the input.  The Moog part seems to be discontinued but available.  Perhaps I'll try a set of them prior to trying the poly option.

Thanks again for the input,
Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
Chisam View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chisam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 11:29pm
I used Centric 602.56010 on my 69 Ambassador and they are listed for AMC. While moog 8157 and Mevotech 8157 may work on some AMC's. The rear bushing is thicker and shaped different than the Centric and the Moog 3090 & 3091. 
1968 AMX 390 4SP
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2021 at 5:35pm
At random, I had picked to MOOG part to try.  It has finally arrived and see that it's just a bit different.
I haven't tried to get it on the car yet and will report back in a bit when I do just to update the forum knowledge base.

If that doesn't fit close enough, it's good to know that the Centric part will work.  Thanks.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2021 at 6:39am
As long as the strut rod has the adjusting nut in front of the bushing as well as behind you're good to go. The bushing is the same as a Mustang II bushing -- should say so in the Moog instructions. The metal spacer inside may be different, but I'm pretty sure it fits.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic