TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

She's ALIVE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2021 at 8:48pm
That "choke thing" in the air cleaner diverts air intake from the snorkel to a opening below it that at one time had a heat stove from the exhaust manifold so it could pull in warm air until the engine warmed up, then the vacuum thing would swing that "door" and pull cooler air in. At least that's what it sounds like you're describing. I was thinking that was only used on late 60s and 70s cars though. You could have a later model breather, but I doubt it. Some CA spec cars used it earlier than others. At any rate, it's not really needed. Disconnect and plug the vacuum line and lock the breather door open, and maybe remove the vac canister. If it was set up like I think it should have been the engine would warm up a little faster in cold weather. The vacuum for the door should be through switch that screws into the block in the water jacket. It would turn vacuum on and off with the water temp.
Frank Swygert
75Pacer15 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Pacer15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

That "choke thing" in the air cleaner diverts air intake from the snorkel to a opening below it that at one time had a heat stove from the exhaust manifold so it could pull in warm air until the engine warmed up, then the vacuum thing would swing that "door" and pull cooler air in. At least that's what it sounds like you're describing. I was thinking that was only used on late 60s and 70s cars though. You could have a later model breather, but I doubt it. Some CA spec cars used it earlier than others. At any rate, it's not really needed. Disconnect and plug the vacuum line and lock the breather door open, and maybe remove the vac canister. If it was set up like I think it should have been the engine would warm up a little faster in cold weather. The vacuum for the door should be through switch that screws into the block in the water jacket. It would turn vacuum on and off with the water temp.

Thank you! Yes, you are describing exactly the component I was asking about. I had the suspicion it served the purpose you explained, hence why I called it a "choke thing" LOL

Edited by 75Pacer15 - Oct/30/2021 at 9:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic