TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

door stainless trim removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: door stainless trim removal
    Posted: Sep/16/2021 at 8:18am
On a 1971 Javelin the stainless trim on top of the doors, I need to remove to get a dent out from the factory. I still have orignal paint and never taken off the door panels.
What is the safest was to get that trim off without damaging the exterior paint?
Steve
orignal owner
1971 Javelin AMX
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2021 at 8:44am
The stainless trim on the tops of the doors are held in place by thin platic clips. When removed the clips tabs usually break off and will need replaced. I think have top door trim... its been a while since and been selling window edge trim mostly since then.

To recall, it is probably a matter of using a plastic party knife to go under and lift. Rocking back and forth from corner down along the outer edge to pop off each mounting tab. The tabs are held in place with a push pin hidden away when trim is installed.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2021 at 4:27pm
If I understand what you said, you pry the stainless trim up stating at the front or back and expect the plastic tabs to break off?  Are those tabs being sold by the vendors?
Is there an issue with bending the stainless if a tab doesn't let loose?
Steve
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2021 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by 71 Javelin AMX O.O. 71 Javelin AMX O.O. wrote:

If I understand what you said, you pry the stainless trim up stating at the front or back and expect the plastic tabs to break off?  Are those tabs being sold by the vendors?
Is there an issue with bending the stainless if a tab doesn't let loose?
Steve

They are sold through restoration sites... unknown by me. I haven't checked as of late to know vendors carry them.

The trick is not to pry up, but to rock the plastic knife under edge to lift the long edge, to release the tabs or break them off. They are very thin and small, so the force to release will not be much strain on the stainless. Lifting up from end is a no-no. It must be along the length, at the edge.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 9:33am
I don't suppose you can send me a picture of those plastic tabs so I do a search for them and purchase new ones ahead of time?
Pictures to my email are the best

rsguh@usfamily.net

I appreciate the tips and help
Steve
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 9:56am
I was able to find a photo of the ones I had sold long ago. Notice the wee tabs that are along the edges. They hold the trim within a groove. They will break off when stressed. Since they are thin, the trim will not distort or bend from their release. Just have to pry up along the outer edge along the length of the trim with a plastic knife edge. There are phone repair tools (blue plastic) with thin edges that resemble a guitar pick or a wee pry bar, that will do the job as well. I have some around, just placed somewhere out of the way, else I would post a picture as well.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 10:03am
Originally posted by 71 Javelin AMX O.O. 71 Javelin AMX O.O. wrote:

I don't suppose you can send me a picture of those plastic tabs so I do a search for them and purchase new ones ahead of time?
Pictures to my email are the best

rsguh@usfamily.net

I appreciate the tips and help
Steve

i may have a bunch of those if you need some.. let me know how many and i will see if i have them.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 8:39pm
WOW. Never seen tabs like that.  Thanks for the pictures.
If I could get 6 from mstrcrftr I think I should be covered.
Let me know your address and what you need for them and I will send you funds and mailing address.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic