TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sanity Check for Price on Moser One-Piece Axles?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sanity Check for Price on Moser One-Piece Axles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2021 at 8:58am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

What's the axle-retention mechanism then? C-clip style, like the small Ford? Those work fine. If high-axle-twist-torque is your overrriding concern, drag-race style, C-clip has no disadvantage. C-clip weakness, such as it is, is all in turns, repeated and high-G turns.

The pressed-on ring is the retention method.  This is common on a number of axles (including the Ford 9") and isn't the big deal many make it out to be, as cornering forces on the axle are far less on the "pulling out" (axle on the inside of the turn) than they are on the "pushing in" (axle on the outside of the turn). 

Twisting the axle is not what started this whole issue and isn't a concern.  I'll be autocrossing on street tires (albeit 275/50-17 RT-660s).  The whole thing started with a bent hub and almost five months of not being able to find any parts to fix the issue (tomj's generous offer was made late in the game and I was already well down this other route, plus another person needed those axles).

Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by Scrappy Scrappy wrote:

NOTE 1:  I do not want axles with ball bearings because I autocross, so the Dr. Diff axles to fit unmodified AMC 20 housings aren't an option.

Please elaborate.

Poor strength and durability in side loading.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2021 at 9:47am
Copied from a Jeep forum on Set9 installation issues:

"If you buy set 9 bearings from Napa or any source other than the 1 piece axle manufacturer, you will end up with bearing retainer rings that are too thick and will rub against the inner seals preventing the axle from being installed full depth. One piece AMC 20 axle kits that use set 9 bearings come with special thickness retainer rings."

Hence, the lock rings to make the Set 9 work in an AMC 20 are custom pieces and the reduced width does not retain the axles as positively axially.

Moser used to have instructions on their site for machining the shafts to fit Set9 that originally had the Green ball bearing ... or maybe other way around?  Did a quick search and couldn't find it.

My suggestion would be to run what you received from Moser with the ball bearing, monitor shafts for movement and be prepared to change bearings frequently. 

Ultimately, you may need to update housing ends to get a larger tapered roller bearing that is more positively retained, or fit snouts for full-floating ends if serious about autocrossing your car.   I'm sure Moser could do a full-floater conversion for your AMC 20, as they offer same for 9", 8.8", GM 12 bolt, etc.

Depends how hard you run your car on the track and how sticky are your tires and how well set up the suspension if the ball bearings will give satisfactory life.

Hope this helps, RD 

Edited by Red Devil - Oct/02/2021 at 9:51am
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Copied from a Jeep forum on Set9 installation issues:

"If you buy set 9 bearings from Napa or any source other than the 1 piece axle manufacturer, you will end up with bearing retainer rings that are too thick and will rub against the inner seals preventing the axle from being installed full depth. One piece AMC 20 axle kits that use set 9 bearings come with special thickness retainer rings."

Hence, the lock rings to make the Set 9 work in an AMC 20 are custom pieces and the reduced width does not retain the axles as positively axially.

That's good info.  I'm going to be buying the Moser bearing package via Summit, which includes the rings.  The question is whether "as positively" matters in this case, and whether said rings are any different than the ones which come with the ball bearings, in which case there'd be no difference in retention between the two.

Moser used to have instructions on their site for machining the shafts to fit Set9 that originally had the Green ball bearing ... or maybe other way around?  Did a quick search and couldn't find it.

It's still there.  See "Print for machining seal area to use Timken Set 9 bearings on Moser Engineering One-Piece Jeep axles" at https://www.moserengineering.com/order-forms-instructions/.

Hope this helps, RD 

It does, thanks!
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2021 at 10:21am
i Installed a set of mosers one peice axels in my 1969 road race amx. I did have to add spacers after my first day at the track but have had zero problems since. talk to 4 different people and get four different opinions.     Chris
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2021 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by iapexl8r iapexl8r wrote:

i Installed a set of mosers one peice axels in my 1969 road race amx. I did have to add spacers after my first day at the track but have had zero problems since. talk to 4 different people and get four different opinions.

Thanks for adding your experience, Chris!
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2021 at 12:33am
I have Henrys axles in my 70 AMX. Bought in 1972 for 299.+ extra bearings, retainers and shipping. Stock backing plates + seals hold the axles in.

They recommended tig welding a spot between the retainer and axle which I did.

Have had one bearing go bad in 50 yrs and it's a 4sp w/slicks.

Of course I welded the tubes and perches.

Goodluck,

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic