TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Air Compressor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Compressor
    Posted: Sep/09/2021 at 10:20pm
I'm looking for some advice concerning what to do with this old air compressor.

some history......
My family has owned this air compressor since approx 1951

It's original purpose was running the equipment at the Molina quarry in Molina, Mo. and running start up motors on bulldozers...that was it's primary duty.

I have been using the compressor up to the current date with only changing out the electric motor 15 years ago.

I don't know anything about air compressors and I don't know what it is, if its worth saving, or just scrap ?

The bad: the tank is leaking and I don't feel it is safe to try and weld ?
A new tank is more than a new 60 gallon 2 stage compressor ?

I hate to scrap it because to compressor and electric motor run with no problems ?

A new 2 stage 60 gallon compressor is less than 2 grand.

What the heck is it ? it is a 4 cylinder V-twin but is it a single stage...dual stage.. ?

It has 4 cylinders but only 2 intake  air cleaners ?

Should I just haul it to the dump and buy a new 60 gallon 2 stage for less then 2 grand or try and do something with it ?

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Sep/09/2021 at 10:32pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 6:09am
The problem with most cheap new compressors is that they run fast and generate heat and therefore condensation. The old compressors tend to run slower and cooler. If the compressor runs good and generates enough air for what you're using it for, I'd get another tank for it.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
rnscustom View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnscustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 7:59am
Looks to be a two stage , get a tank for it . Maybe find a used one ( they are dated for age ) . Go to a local air / vacuum repair shop and see if they have one they may have replaced because of compressor motor issues . Worst case I think you can get a tank new for under $1000 . Replace what you have would be at least double 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 9:02am

And free shipping.

I agree with Mopar_guy, for the same capacity older units typically run slower, are quieter, and produce slightly cooler air.  IMHO probably the best compressor still available is a Saylor Beall but they are NOT cheap.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 3:29pm
thanks for the input.

Instead of buying a whole new compressor in the same class as what I already have it is going to be far cheaper to buy the tank.

Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 4:18pm
i got one from sears that is a single stage and you cannot stay in the garage while it is running unless you have on shooter ear muffs. so stay with what you got and i bet it is quiet
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 8:06pm
I used to work at a place that had a compressor tank rupture.
Same general type compressor,  from the late 50's,  he bought it from a closed Ford dealership in 89, and we moved it to his new bodyshop.
 About 2010,  after I retired , they were both in the office, about 20 ftfrom the compressor,  which was out side the shop in a shed.
It ruptured along a weld seam in the bottom, ricocheted off the outside block wall,  went through the shed roof,  and ended up in a field about 50 yards away.   This was a about 600 lb unit.
Can you imagine the energy it took to do this,  nobody knows how high it went,  because nobody saw it.

The tank had rust around the bottom seam,  from the inside.

I once made a wood stove out of a old compressor tank,  I cut off the end cap ,  and  the bottom had about 1 foot rusty patch the entire length of the tank,  almost completely thru the almost 1/4 in steel.
Probably from years of not having the moisture drained out often enough.  It looked fine from the outside.

A 60-80 gallon tank, with 150-200 psi in it has enough destructive potential to kill you.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 8:19pm
 I do like those old compressors,  you can still get parts for the better know brands.
But those old tanks worry me.

I worked at a dealership where the big main compressor suddenly wouldn't start one morning.
When they started checking it, it was locked up, dry of oil.   
It hadn't leaked out ,  it had used it all.

I've been around and working with compressors over 50 years now,  endless stories of neglect.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 12:48am
Those oldies run forever.  Be sure to change the air filters and use compressor oil when you change it. I'd bet that electric motor is rebuildable too.

Ron.

Edited by amxron - Oct/17/2021 at 12:50am
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 12:54am
Since that tank has been in the family for 70-years I would keep it and make it into a BBQ grill when you get the new one. That way it's still around and still useful.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic