TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

javtopgun Help Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2021 at 6:41am
I'm with Buzz. With the cam you have 14 is probably normal. That's why some high lift/high duration cam cars being run on the street need electric vacuum pumps for power brakes. 16-20 is normal for a stock/mid range performance cam.
Frank Swygert
1BadJav View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1BadJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2021 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I'm with Buzz. With the cam you have 14 is probably normal. That's why some high lift/high duration cam cars being run on the street need electric vacuum pumps for power brakes. 16-20 is normal for a stock/mid range performance cam.

That is what I thought as well, but, not knowing the cam specs it is hard to know for certain.

As far as the plugs go.  6 of them were a nice light ash color and 2 of them were considerably darker.
72 AMC Javelin SST - 401/727
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2021 at 12:40pm
K , after you left badjav , i did a deep dive into the abyss ( internet )  and found the spec's on the cam . 
480/480 lift 
270/270 duration
lobe seperation 110
intake/exhaust at 050 inch lift 224
1968 Javelin SSt 343ci semi restomod .
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2021 at 12:57pm
also had some notes
recomendations for an amc application 
Slightly higher compression ratio than stock. my original valve cover tag indicated a 9:1 compression 343, per what builder said i have 9.5:1
Higher rear end gear than stock . its not its 3:15  
Higher stall torque than stock , i have no ideal what stock converter ratio is but its stock . i seen some things in the abyss ( internet ) saying its 1600 but im not sure ! 
U all im sure know .

Sounds like to me i need a jeep 3:31 rear gearing and stall converter some where between 1800 and 2200 . dose that converter even exsist ?  And am i on the right track ?

javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2021 at 1:09pm
No issues with the power brakes really except i did a conversion to disc front from a 71 jav ( all front end components , disc power booster and master cylinder . but have not put a disc prop valve in the line , just have the pressure differential switch from the drum brakes . it a 50/50 split but in a tread in suspension im told leave it ( diff switch ) and put a disc prop , maybe adj in line to bring that down to 70/30 or even 80/20 to stop all 4's from locking up at same time making it a straiter more controllable stop ( stop rear end kick out ) i also thing the 50/50 i have now is stoping the rear tires from braking loose on a power torque ??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic