TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

will not run

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyboy123? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: will not run
    Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 4:21pm
1960 American with 196 6 cylinder new carb, new fuel pump, have gas and spark, timing set at 3 degrees btdc fires but wont run ??
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 5:08pm
First thought is firing order. Check it with an induction timing light if you have one.
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 6:08pm
Here's an inexperienced thought, does it Run (at least for alittle bit) if you pour 1/4 cup gas into the carb?
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 6:27pm
Did it run before the new parts and service?
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 6:43pm
Check points to see if good ( not wore out or a piece broke off or one side flat ) then run a piece of 800 grit thru them or a match book striker then set the points to spec , I dont know what the spec is for a 6 cylinder . Do this if you truly are getting gas up to carb and spark is present at S/plugs . Also check , if cold that the choke is closed so theres more fuel or if its hot out open chock butterfly ( put a screw driver in it to hold open chock so it get more air ) dont let the S/driver fall in plz .
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 6:58pm
Trader also has a great ideal , the spark plug firing order i believe is on the manifolds , not real sure on 6 poper in 1960 but if is , you will need a manual for what positions the firing order is on the distributor to verify correct firing order . i have a manual but its for 1968 javelin / AMX which has the 232-6 in it but i have no ideal if this would apply to 1960 . Dout it . One other thing i can thank of might be causing issues that i have expeiranced before , the cam on distributor for the points may be wore out . 
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 11:04pm
I second checking the firing order. Two of mine were switched and it just popped and coughed. After that I would check timing and compression if you know there's fuel and spark.

Here's the firing order if it's not cast into the head:

Edited by al1630 - Aug/03/2021 at 11:08pm
Alex
1963 Rambler American 440H
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 4:29pm
Yep, counter clockwise unlike all your 1960s and 1970s engines. The joy of working on an engine designed in the 1930s !LRDaum
LRDaum
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 8:55pm
Gotta ask, flyboy , with all this info , DID it start yeT ?? 
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2021 at 12:45am
Point gap for 6 cylinder distributor is .016. I just gapped my new set of points with the gap tool I bot!
And the firing order should be stamped ontop of the intake manifold, I would recite it here but that's already been done.:(

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Aug/07/2021 at 12:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic