TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Power Brake Bellcrank link question and need

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thmil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Brake Bellcrank link question and need
    Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 3:18pm
Hello AMC Forum, I had originally posted this in parts wanted section. After some guidance from Midnight Rambler to check out post, I thought I should post here too. 

I am in need of a solution of which I think is addressed in the above post. What I think I need is the LINK that goes from power brake bellcrank to brake pedal.
It's part No. 8.420-1 in the 67-72 AMC Parts Book.
I would have expected to also see more diagrams on the next page of the parts book, but it is blank.
I think there are two different link lengths, I THINK I need the longer "J" shaped one.
The one I have is straight and doesn't connect with the pedal.

A photo is attached of what is in the parts book.

I need it for my 1967 American six cylinder automatic. The car was converted from straight drum brakes with no booster to Scarebird front disk, new Bendix MC, New Cardone booster, and bracket (from an IH Scout). Before my repaint and new interior, I had been driving it with an unsafe link I made at home from a piece of metal. It's been some time since I set this up and forget why I modded it like this, but it worked. Midnight Rambler suggested that the problem is due to the IH Scout bracket. That could be true, with the body support interfering easy placement, I have to wrestle like heck to get the bracket/booster bolted to the firewall. However, that would mean that my bracket is too long already, effectively shortening the length of bracket to pedal link distance. Thus the need for a longer link.      

Also, as I have and Midnight Rambler has also proven, because the new master cylinder does not have the same boss for the brake light switch, so a hokey push switch needs to be rigged up. How else can the brake light switch activated with the power brake/disk setup?

Thank you and please pass on any helpful leads.

Tim 
thmil
1967 American Rogue Convertible
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 3:28pm
The brake lights might be more easily solved by changing to a MC that accepts a pressure switch.  My '66 is set up that way.  I'll try to take some better pictures of the switch on the '67-'69 pedal set I have so you can see what you're dealing with.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 4:23pm
If you are reasonably handy it's not a big deal to fabricate a bracket and add a switch.  I did that to my '72 Dodge pickup on the clutch pedal when I installed cruise control.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 7:59am

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 8:04am
The pedal set is upside down so you can see the switch.  The pedals are in the "resting" position, the switch button is depressed by the pedal arm with your foot off the brakes, so it's a demand switch that is closed when resting and open when depressed.

The next pic you can see the bracket and attachment point.  Looks like it would be easy to fabricate something as 6PakBee mentioned.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 8:05am
The issue with the pushrod and IH bracket might be resolved with an aftermarket adjustable one.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic