TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

front suspension pins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front suspension pins
    Posted: Jul/27/2021 at 8:52am
My '59 American recently experienced what I've discovered was a known design problem--suspension pin separating from the trunion! Shocked In effect, my right front wheel halfway fell off, while driving; fortunately it was at very slow speed and didn't take out the quarter-panel, or result in personal injury.
I've heard that Rambler recognized the problem, back in the day, and there is actually a "Type II" replacement pin made. Does anyone know where these can be sourced?
Thanks!
Dave
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2021 at 10:13am
Try Gavin's, they have a kit and replacement trunnions. For the cost, the replacement trunnions look like a better deal:
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 12:30am
Almost certainly you have a bigger problem than just the trunnion. 

There is no thing called a "suspension pin" on these cars; can you clarify? Do you have a factory service manual? It's pretty much a requirement to get anything done.

If your suspension is that neglected, you really need to assume the whole thing is bad. Upper and lower trunnions, bushings, all of it. On cars this old in general, and the 58 to 63 Americans specifically, all of that is worn. 

If the lower trunnion(s) self-disassembled, the lower arms themselves are likely ruined. 

Here's my website with a lot of information on these suspensions. You might look it over for hints on what to look at. I strongly suggest parking the car, the the nose off the ground, get the springs out, and remove each suspension and put on the bench to overhaul. It's by far the easiest way to approach these things.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 7:09am
I have seen '58-'59 full-size Ramblers have the front wheel "fall off," as if the steering knuckle pin separated from the upper trunnion/spring cup. The first one I saw that way was about 1970. That suggests to me that it's a combination of high mileage and lack of maintenance/lubrication.

The problem I experienced with my '57 Rambler was corrosion related, in which the spring towers under the hood started "rising," causing the hood to become difficult to latch. without bending the hood.

I suspect the two conditions are not mutually exclusive. If the top of the spring tower moves up, the possibility of the steering knuckle pin and the upper trunnion/spring cup separating increases. In the cases I've seen, the problem has occurred on the right front when executing a left turn...when the heaviest suspension load is on the right front corner. The right front wheel "folds under" the car.

I'm not sure that what I've seen is exactly what the OP is describing, but that's the picture I have in my mind.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic