TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Swap 196 for a 232 in 64 American?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superrara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swap 196 for a 232 in 64 American?
    Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 2:57pm
I've got a 64 American convertible which had a 196 motor. I've gotten a 232 motor which I installed last night.  Do I need to replace the cross member for the engine mounts to line up with the holes?
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 4:05pm
You're going to have to do several things.
1. The 232/199/258 engines are much longer than the old 196. It barely fits your engine bay, without mods.
2. You need a 1 year only short shaft water pump out of a '65 232 car.
3. You also need to reverse the radiator brackets, to move the radiator core closer to the grille (to buy some clearance for the fan.)

What year is the engine you installed?? Is the starter on the driver's side or passenger side of that engine? If passenger side, you'll need a newer transmission to bolt up to it, as the '64 one won't.

Ask questions here. Do an 'advanced search' or a Google search with "theamcforum" in it and you'll turn up the info you need.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 12:17am
A 1971 and earlier 232 will bolt onto whatever transmission you have. Starter in the same location. 72 up sixes have the V8 bell pattern,s tarter on the other side, and will necessitate transmission swap, driveshaft, and much more invasive stuff.

I put a '70 232 into a 63 Classic, which has more room, but I had to do most of what ramblinrev says. Also there will be a handful of trivia, wiring for sensors, etc, not a big deal if that kind of stuff is within your skills, which seems likely if you're swapping motors.

I had to get the later crossmember, and oddly, had to drill a new hole in each motor mount pad in the crossmember to shift it fore or aft, I can't recall. Couldn't tell you why. It was a long time ago...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 1:07am
easier to put a V8 in a 64-65 than a 232 been here done that like said the 232 is longer than the 196 and they added 2 inches to the 66-69 American the radiator can slide infront of rad support with little modification you might have to cut he fire wall for clearance of the head that what I did also .the wiring is straight forward no major modification there    
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic