TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Too much difference in gasket sizes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too much difference in gasket sizes?
    Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 10:22pm
Ok. I used a exhaust pipe flange gasket "felpro 60299" ("doughnut") and it was not fitting onto the exhaust pipe, so I took a measurement and measured the inner diameter of the exhaust pipe at 1 27/32.
I searched on the internet and found a gasket that's the same doughnut style and is just a tiny bit smaller, 1 25/32.
I want to buy it so I can finish putting my engine together but am not sure if I wouldn't be able to use it and thought I'd ask around the forum to see what kind of answers I would get.... Thanks!

Ok. Tomj just replied and let me know there is no gasket between the manifold and exhaust pipe, but a formed edge of the exhaust pipe that mates with the concave shape of the inside of the manifold where the three studs fasten those two pieces of equipment.
But it's a shame that the outer edge of this formed piece at the end of the exhaust pipe seemed to come off just last night, and just last night!!! It looks like a thin round piece of metal that looks like it came off the pipe flange and has what looks like a different material underneath it. I was thinking of carefully placing it back on and fastening the three studs hoping the clamping force will hold it on.
I'll try tonight and see if I can make it happen.
Wish me luck AMC brothers!

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jul/23/2021 at 12:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic