TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1976 Matador Wagon New Carb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chowder007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 Matador Wagon New Carb
    Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 9:05pm
Gentlemen, today I replaced the carb on My wife's matador. It was shot so opted for a new one. We have everything installed but it won't start without starter fluid. Once started if I let off the gas it dies. The engine is a 304 automatic w a 2 barrel. The carb was purchased from Orielys and has a climatic choke. I BELIEVE the old one did not though if I'm being honest I'm not even sure what to look for on the old one. 

While installing it. The two lines on the bottom left  below the carb that go into the block "I believe to be the choke lines"??? One broke and is only partially on. We ran out of daylight and I'm intending to see if I can grab a new one tomorrow. Including that info in case that is the issue. 

Trying to get some tips on where I should be looking for an issue first. If my memory serves me properly from my time assisting my pawpaw on these when I was younger we likely need to make some adjustments. I'd be grateful for any info you can provide. 

troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 9:42pm
So much comes to mind here so let me get it started and hopefully someone with experience on your specific carburetor will chime in.
It sounds like a vacuum leak, so:
- Did you install a new gasket between the carburetor and the intake manifold?
- Is the carburetor secure?
- Did you adjust the mixture screw(s)?  I believe the rule of thumb is to start at 1-1/2 turns out.  Turn them in (closed) gently and back them out from there.
- Are all the vacuum lines connected correctly and in good shape?  Old vacuum lines get brittle and break or crack when you mess with them.  Includes the power brake booster and PCV lines.  This brings me to those little tubes you mentioned.  They are the heat risers or stove pipes for the choke.  They use vacuum from the carburetor to pull air through them.  They run down into the intake manifold for heat.  If they are broken you have a vacuum leak and another problem.  It might be possible to cap or plug them but your winter choke operation will suffer.
Bill O.
70 AMX
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 9:48pm
A reman?    My experience with reman carburetors has been poor.  I hope you kept your original. And oriellys leaves much to be desired. 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 9:50pm
Vacuum loss from the choke is insignificant. It's metered. Most it will do if plug up with dirt and render the choke operation useless The tubes are preformed and a available from AMC vendors. 
chowder007 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chowder007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 10:02pm
Thanks for the response.
New gasket was installed. Carb is secure. Mixture screws weren't touched. Wasn't 100% on those but it was my first thought as well. All vacume lines are connected. 

Thanks for the info on adjustment. Will be trying that tomorrow.

Originally posted by troutwilly troutwilly wrote:

So much comes to mind here so let me get it started and hopefully someone with experience on your specific carburetor will chime in.
It sounds like a vacuum leak, so:
- Did you install a new gasket between the carburetor and the intake manifold?
- Is the carburetor secure?
- Did you adjust the mixture screw(s)?  I believe the rule of thumb is to start at 1-1/2 turns out.  Turn them in (closed) gently and back them out from there.
- Are all the vacuum lines connected correctly and in good shape?  Old vacuum lines get brittle and break or crack when you mess with them.  Includes the power brake booster and PCV lines.  This brings me to those little tubes you mentioned.  They are the heat risers or stove pipes for the choke.  They use vacuum from the carburetor to pull air through them.  They run down into the intake manifold for heat.  If they are broken you have a vacuum leak and another problem.  It might be possible to cap or plug them but your winter choke operation will suffer.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 3:31am
The first rule of old car ownership is to NEVER give up your original carburetor as a core for some remanufactured POS carburetor that will never run nearly as well as the original carburetor if it was properly restored. 

Never. 

You always keep your original carburetor, because chances are you will want it after you've yelled and screamed at the remanufactured one. 

I hate remanufactured carburetors. The only think I ever use them for is as parts to fix an original carburetor. 

Go back to the store and buy your core back NOW before it gets wrapped up in paperwork and shipped off. Once it leaves the store, it's gone forever. You have a very short time window for getting it back. 

Edited by FSJunkie - Jul/23/2021 at 3:33am
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 6:04am
I have several original 2v carbs here if you're interested.  One even came off a 74(?) Matador.  I literally just has these things in my hands yesterday.
chowder007 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chowder007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 5:33pm
Can someone verify. Is this part of the choke line or fuel pressure regulator? Or what part is it if I'm completely off?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FfgawHrG2w7TbVuZ9
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 6:14pm
thtey don't have fuel pressure regulators Pic is choke inlet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic