TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil Filters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 4:19am
Whatever filter you get, make sure the anti-drainback valve inside the filter actually seals. Just blow air into the center threaded hole of the filter. No air should escape if the valve seals properly. 

A lot don't seal, including two out of every three Wix 51258 filters and their rebranded kin. I've been bugging Wix for years about that. 

You can use a Wix 51522 or other version of it. The can is smaller than the 51258 but I've cut them open and the filter element inside is nearly the same size and it's otherwise an identical filter. Every on I've bought had a correctly sealing anti-drainback valve. It was the filter frequently prescribed on AMC sixes. 

The air filter is the most important filter on the engine...
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 5:43pm
I've also had issues with the anti drain back valve not working on the WIX 51258.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 7:38pm
All I got to say is if you believe the 5' tall drunk? man with 12" tall white cowboy hat who spits on Fram filters, good luck; it's a complex mainstream media world we live in now... constant economic war

I tend to agree with those who advocate the Ford size thread in adapter because not even Fram offers a good selection of oil filters for our old favorite engine any more.

-Time for someone with to create an AMC oil pump cover that has larger diameter sealing gasket area so AMV8 can use a SBC spec. oil filter like Fram TG5 -much better than PH11.

Another interesting tidbit; as soon as the 5' tall drunk? redneck on YouTube became everyone's private confidant, US Baldwin Filiters became popular and got bought out by German Company?

I truly trust all those redneck Fram haters on YouTube; instant best friends with people who enjoy smearing our famous US companies (not)

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 9:34pm
I've not used a Fram for years after 2 motors, not AMC's, failed due to the plastic internal relief valve button breaking and loosing all oil pressure.
Both those failures were always after a cold snap and the people hauling a heavy load. I believe it's thermal fatigue failure of the plastic. 
Have they fixed this and are now metal???
I always look into the oil filters for metal or plastic internal relief valves. If it's plastic, it goes back on the shelf.
For other makes, Quaker State readily available here, has always had metal relief valves so far and have never had problems with them.
You cannot sell me any oil filter with a plastic internal relief valve! Yah - I'm a knocking until I see proof.
Redneck hater that has cost me several thousand $$$. Stand by my work, and if the engine fails it's my cost. How would you feel if the cost you bare is due to a faulty part? Besides your reputation?
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 12:15pm
The wix 51522XP (Ford style) isn't doing too well in the drain back issue either..I've noticed a few times of a lengthy oil light on until it refills. Ran the car 24 hours ago and just pulled the filter only to find a couple ounces run off. Spun a Purolator in its place.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2021 at 9:40am
Just happenstance on this article in reference to an engine lost on the dyno due to the filter relief valve failure. Fram has changed from plastic to metal again, but from the article, not a big improvement. These are filters readily available in Ontario.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic