TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Valve cover removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valve cover removal
    Posted: Jul/11/2021 at 2:58pm
Hi my friends. I need your help again. I have a 1975 Sportabout with the 258. I am trying to change the valve cover gasket. I have all the bolts out and the valve cover loose. When I try to remove it the back end hits the firewall. Any tricks on how to remove it? Thanks
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2021 at 4:41pm
Keep messing with it and alternatively turn the crankshaft a few degrees.  Removing a valve cover in a Pacer is problematic too.  You’ll eventually get it removed when the rocker arms are properly positioned on number six.
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
amcfitz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2021 at 7:14pm
Thanks, what a brilliant bit of engineering.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2021 at 7:35pm
The other thing to check is the condition of the transmission support.  If the rubber in the support has collapsed, the engine will tilt downward in the rear, which makes the already tight clearance  between the valve cover and the firewall even tighter.  In a pinch, if you can slide a small hydraulic jack under the trans tailshaft, you can gently lift the trans about 1/2-3/4" and get yourself enough room up top.

Hope this helps.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2021 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by amcfitz amcfitz wrote:

Thanks, what a brilliant bit of engineering.

Early ones are easy. Underhood got busier and tighter with increasing emissions and incremental patchwork tech. AMC was no worse than the others. The plastic valve cover, OK that was bad, no doubt!  70's and 80s were the worst underhood cars ever. Bucket'o'hoses.  

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2021 at 2:29am
Removing the wiper motor can help. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
amcfitz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2021 at 5:14pm
Thanks everyone. I will give it all a try
amcfitz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2021 at 7:10pm
Well I jacked up the tail shaft of the transmission, moved the wiper motor and was able to get it off and back on again. Thanks everyone for the help.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 10:27am
Can't recall exact source/name, but I read something (supposedly) written by a former AMC engineer. He stated that AMC estimated they would get about 20% of customers coming back for the plastic valve cover leaking during the (then 24 month/50K miles, IIRC) drivetrain warranty period. For the cost savings of manufacturing they decided this was acceptable. Only 1/5 of customers got one valve cover replaced for free. The other 4/5 had an issue later and had to pay for it themselves. Now THAT is real tight bean counting, and something that doesn't endear customers to a manufacturer!! Maybe AMC could see the writing on the wall by this time, as they were in pretty dire straights in the 79-81 period. Remember, Renault only bought a small percentage of AMC in 1980, intending to increase their amount over a period of years. Instead, they had to jump up to a majority share holder by early 1981 (I seem to recall 49% -- enough to give them control) to keep AMC from going under!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic