TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Switch P/S pump 1969 290 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2021 at 6:08pm
A couple of points. 1. I assume that you checked the bottom surface of your Eaton pump reservoir for flatness. 2. You installed the reinforcement plate in the correct "up" orientation. I'm not 100% sure but I think the correct "up" orientation is with the little protruding tabs facing upwards. Someone please chime in on this !

You could also try using round cross section O rings of the appropriate thickness and diameter.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2021 at 11:13pm
Very strange that you'd have a leak under the reservoir unless the bottom of the reservoir was out of shape. There is only atmospheric pressure in the reservoir, maybe a very little more when fluid is returned when steering returns to center. As noted earlier, check that the reinforcing tab is installed the right way. I've used both the square/circular gaskets that come with the rebuilding kits as well as some generic round o-rings from Tractor Supply to seal the reservoir. The main leak I usually encounter is from the front shaft seal, it's easy to tear on installation. Also, common for the shaft to have a groove worn in it so the seal doesn't fit tightly, sometimes a good polishing of the shaft will help, but I've had a couple where the only cure was a new (junkyard) pump shaft. Good luck.

Terry
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic