TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Coolant leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 8:39pm
I never use stop leak of any sort on a new build - only as a last resort. I've also not had issues with engine leaks, either - I've had HOSE connections leak, heater valves, heater valve pipe threads, and thermostat housings when I haven't followed my normal practices on those. 
Like said - simple things first. But if it's a more major things, fix it, don't band-aid it. Band-aids are for emergencies or "I don't really care, just make it stop" cases. Not long term solutions. 

As my wife says - if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If it's the intake, pull it and do it again. IF it's a head - fix it as if it's leaking outside, what's it doing inside. 

To this day my last engine builds have had no leaks - oil or water. My 360 is an exception - but I didn't build that one, I'm just trying to fix what the PO cobbled. One by one I'm resolving the leaks he ignored. 
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 3:39pm
? Get out your old 70's Black Light in a dark garage as coolant is fluorescent isn't it ?  LOL
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

? Get out your old 70's Black Light in a dark garage as coolant is fluorescent isn't it ?  LOL

I thought that only worked while wearing your leisure suit?
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 11:40pm

On my wife's 70 Javelin I had a very minor coolant leak coming from the core plug at the back (facing the firewall) of the right side Cyl. head and it was very hard to find. Found it by using a small mirror and about 18 Lb's of pressure in the cooling system. Fortunately I was able to change it in the car.

Dennis    
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 5:47am
  Since everything is new and clean, I would wipe down and dry everything.  Take some blue paper towels (or gray, something that changes color when wet) and tape them in several places along the back of the block.  This may help narrow it down to a freeze plug in the head or intake leak.  Or at least narrow it down to what side is leaking.  Run the engine thru another heat cycle, shut it down, and keep an eye on the back of the block with a flashlight.
  If its a freeze plug, maybe they were not installed with sealant (RTV or Permatex #2)?  50 years of corrosion leaves the surfaces less than perfect to seal against.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 11:06am
I never use RTV or silicone on cooling parts - Permatex or something like the old Indian Head sealer or copper coat sealer only for me - unless it's one of the newer sealants made specifically for cooling systems.
Otherwise antifreeze will eventually turn many RTV/silicone sealers to mush. I know what the instructions for intake manifold gaskets, thermostat gaskets, etc. say but I've seen nothing but trouble with most sealers around engine coolant and oils. 

Too bad he doesn't have or have access to a pressure tester. That makes it a ton easier as you can really jack the pressure up and lean over a cool engine.
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 11:42am
Thanks for all the great info and ideas on where to check for this leak. all i have used is cooper coat and Indian head sealer. hopefully i will be getting around to checking this out tomorrow. Trying to find a pressure tester from one of my friends. If not going to start up and bring to temp looking for leaks then shut her down and continue to look until i find where it is leaking. My neighbors will not be happy with the noise but has to be done. Thanks again Bob
green70AMX
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 12:31pm
Are you running a recovery type cap with the 2 rubber seals? You can pressurize through the overflow. The pressure rating on the cap will prevent you from going over. I just did one with a mighty vac pump.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 12:54pm
most of your local auto parts stores have rental pressure testers.. you put a deposit on the tool and bring it back unbroken, get your deposit back..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic