TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ram 88499 HDX clutch question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ram 88499 HDX clutch question
    Posted: Jun/18/2021 at 4:40pm
 I have searched here and read a few posts about these clutches. My project car came with a new one still in the box. I have read that it may make for a heavy pedal, which would be a no go because of the wife driving the car also. What is the consensus as far as pedal effort? Yes or no for the wife's left leg's sake??

This is for my 290 car.

Edited by BU1 - Jun/18/2021 at 4:42pm
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2021 at 4:51pm
A 3 finger borg and beck will have higher pedal pressure.  A diaphragm  clutch will have lighter pedal pressure but it can get over centered at high rpm. (Pedal will not come up at high rpm.)
So it all comes to what do you want
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2021 at 6:36pm
Centerforce for the wife.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2021 at 6:42pm
Go for the diaphragm. I had back surgery and went this option. My wife and daughter (5'2" 95 lbs) can both drive the car no problems. 401, approximately 425 to 450 HP in a 69 Javelin, T5. As you get older the B&B gets old also.
Shifting at 5500 RPM is not a problem as your well over the speed limit in 2nd or 3rd gear in most cases.
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2021 at 6:51pm
Thanks to all!!! Thumbs Up  The knowledge that people share on this site is greatly appreciated.  The Ram will be for sale.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

A 3 finger borg and beck will have higher pedal pressure.  A diaphragm  clutch will have lighter pedal pressure but it can get over centered at high rpm. (Pedal will not come up at high rpm.)
So it all comes to what do you want

This may have been true 50 ago about diaphragm clutches getting over-centered.  But I've spent the last 30 years putting 400K miles on cars with diaphragm clutches that have 7000 RPM redlines-  and they do not have any issues at WOT at redline; even when fuel cut kicks in at 7500 RPM.  

Borg and Beck is a relic of the 1970s
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 11:16am
Some of us do not like centerforce. Those weights are horrifically under engineered (unless they fixed it) and may cause vibration issues. There is a set cut off and thrown against the wall down in the shop. I would suggest a properly engineered diaphragm pressure plate from someone other than centerforce. I run Mcleod.
I too agree with the diaphragm clutch and have converted to that for the reduced pedal effort, much better for the street. Just add the qualifier properly adjusted or it is possible to overcenter.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 11:57am
Even though I do run an 88499HDX and like it, I will be the first to agree with the above. Here are my thoughts:

-With a 290 there is likely no need for such a heavy clutch.
-I used to do a bit of drag racing and the over center thing is real, but you do have to work at it!
-I don't know the CF stuff, but I have heard of issues with them and I have friends that love them. 
-Diaghram clutches are ok and probably perfect for you, but I think they are a bit light duty for larger engines.
-I am a fairly large guy with a good left leg and no back issues. All that being said, I no longer take part in club parades that require on and off the clutch constantly. Bad for the clutch and while I am ok with the heavy pedal, it becomes unpleasant after an hour of constantly pushing it. 

Chris 
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 12:58pm
The Rambler used to have a pretty stout aftermarket Borg and Beck, and it actually broke the clutch pedal off. It failed at the thin spot around the pedal pivot bushing. Now it's got a Mcleod "street extreme" 10.95" diaphragm which is still pretty stout, but a lot easier than the B&B. It's listed for 600 hp and been fine so far. The engine is 567 hp and 560 ft-lbs.
Diaphragm is not the "right" clutch to be going to the drag strip, but this is a street car so I recognize the limitations of a diaphragm at the track. So far not had to walk home, but I did just discover it has bent the rear axle spring perches. Have to fix that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic