TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cam Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam Recommendations
    Posted: Jun/16/2021 at 3:50pm
I'm not sure this is the right subforum as I'm not building a car I plan to drag race on a regular basis. Its mostly going to be a street car that I might occasional race.

The car is a 1969 AMX. The block is a 69 390 (0.30 over) out of a Hurst American. Forged crossdrilled crank, 11:1 TRW pistons, full floating steel rods. I'd like to lower the compression to 10.5:1, but the heads I have in mind might accomplish that. More study required on this. 

On the top end I will likely be using Edelbrock heads with an RPM Airgap manifold. Holly 750 DP carb.

I currently have a close ratio BW T10 with a Hurst shifter, but I'm considering the new Tremic 5 speed.

I'd like a cam and valve train that will allow me to rev to 6500. Admittedly that may not be an idea choice for the street, but why build an engine like this that is limited to 5500 and doesn't have that sweet cam lope?

My buddy, who is a Ford guy, has recommended roller rockers as well as a roller cam. He did not recommend a mechanical roller cam. He said the lifers wear out too fast. He recommend a hydraulic roller cam. If that isn't available he recommended a non-roller cam.

So far I can't find a hydraulic roller cam for an AMC application. Do those exist? Any other cam or valve train recommendations? 
Mike
Billyfrank360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2021 at 4:28pm
Hi there, 

Several manufacturers make hyd roller cams for your application(Howards, Comp.). There are several knowledgeable folks on this forum that can direct you. There is a spread sheet floating around with cam specs also.  You will get more traffic on this thread if you move it to the v8 engines section.   

The project sound cool and I am with you on waning it to rev to 6500. That shouldn’t be a problem.  

Cheers, 
Billy
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2021 at 4:34pm
Thanks for the input. I'll ask the question there. 
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic