TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 Rogue Steering Column alt-replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timboamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Rogue Steering Column alt-replacement
    Posted: Jun/16/2021 at 12:42pm
I have a 68 Rogue my youngest decided he wants.  I removed the Steering Column sometime ago to rebuild it due to the internals falling apart. 4 years and a stroke later, I have no idea where it is at.

I converted the car to power steering from a 73(ish) hornet (i believe) back in 2005, but used the original steering column.

My question is, is there a recommended donor (I believe) someone said years ago a chevy S10 but I dont remember years.  OR is there an aftermarket from a place like speedway that would work?

Tim
74 Javelin - AMC 360 @ 120 (yes 120) over; URA-18 - 390 crank - 401 30 over pistons.

*68 Rambler Rogue - 258
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 8:44pm
So you are looking for a compatible donor for a steering column for a 68 Rambler - surely someone here has done such a thing. 
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 1:31pm
I put a 73 Javelin column in my 68 Rogue. It was longer so I used a flat steering wheel, not dished. It could have been shortened at the slip joint. I had to modify the under dash mount and rewire the car to match he column with its different plug and key in the column.
I also put a Concord tilt column in my 66 American. The length was good but it took similar work with the key and dimmer switch on the column.
68 Rogue has an unusual plug with a curve in it. Most common Saginaw columns have the flat GM style plug.

Edited by 6768rogues - Jun/22/2021 at 1:33pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 9:25pm
Tim,

I'm in San Diego (East County).  I have a 69 steering column from a parts car I had a couple of years ago.  Maybe a three on the tree and probably needs some rebuilding but it is mainly complete.  Just let me know if you want it.  $25 and I can drop it off if you're within a reasonable distance.

Matt
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

I put a 73 Javelin column in my 68 Rogue. It was longer so I used a flat steering wheel, not dished. It could have been shortened at the slip joint. I had to modify the under dash mount and rewire the car to match he column with its different plug and key in the column.
I also put a Concord tilt column in my 66 American. The length was good but it took similar work with the key and dimmer switch on the column.
68 Rogue has an unusual plug with a curve in it. Most common Saginaw columns have the flat GM style plug.

Never thought of the later Concord type column. I have one here but shipping to CA..........
Dimmer should be easy, it's still the same wires. The turn signal wires also easy to change to a different connector and pattern. Ignition could be figured out...... or ignore the switch on the column. 
Nice thing about one with the lower shaft that's too long, simply break that nylon loose in the collapsable part and shorten the lower part and put it back in, the nylon is not needed once it's installed and bolted in place. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic