TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX Muffler options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 2:27am
Napa part number EXH 17732. It's a stock or OE replacement muffler (aka quiet) with an offset 2.25" inlet, centered 2.25" outlet, and the dimensions you specified. It's aluminized steel rather than stainless steel, but that's all that OE mufflers ever were. It will be very hard or impossible to find a stainless steel muffler that isn't a noisy performance muffler. Stock sound mostly means aluminized. Don't worry about restriction because each one is only handling four cylinders when it was designed to handle more than that. 

Two of those or some universal reversible turbo mufflers. Not much difference. The turbo mufflers are slightly louder but flow better. 

Run dual 2.25" pipes from your manifolds back to the mufflers, with a balance pipe between the pipes near the driveshaft front u-joint. The balance pipe makes it quieter. You can either run 2.25" from the mufflers back or use reducers and run 2". The 2" pipes will be a little quieter and easier to route but will have a higher pitched note than the 2.25" pipes. 

Add downturn tips under the back bumper. The tips blast the sound downwards towards the ground rather than straight out. It makes it quieter. 

Rubber insulated hangers throughout. Exhaust vibrates and allowing that vibration to reach the body structure (especially with unit body) will create noise inside the car. 

This exhaust system is nearly silent inside the car at all engine speeds and throttle. It's nearly silent outside the car too if you are standing in front of the car or next to it, but you will definitely hear rumble behind the car. 

Other general exhaust tricks that I did not yet mention:
  1. Larger body mufflers are quieter than smaller body mufflers.
  2. Noise can be reduced further by adding smaller mufflers, resonators, or glasspacks either before or after your main mufflers...if you can find space for them.
  3. The exhaust has the highest volume as it leaves the engine. This is where flow is most critical. The exhaust contracts as it cools and is less affected by restriction later on down the exhaust system. This is why you can do 2.25" off the manifolds and step down to 2" tailpipes after the muffler without any appreciable impact on engine performance. 
  4. Restriction isn't just based on the cross sectional area of the pipe, it's based on the length of the pipe too. You can neck down a short section of pipe without causing much restriction, but necking down a long section of pipe to that same diameter causes a lot more restriction. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 7:06am
The number EXH 17732 comes up as a 14 inch case Dynomax muffler. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 8:24am
Walker always used to make a good quality quieter muffler. See their Quiet Flow 3 now comes in SS 2-1/4 in and out. May be worth giving them a call as the shortest found is 16" but many times new product lines are not fully listed:
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 8:51am
Didn’t any of you read his post saying what he did??? Confused

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 9:10am
Yep. He put Cherry Bombs on it. I can hear it from here.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 9:30am
I did read, but also don't give up easily:)
These can be made to fit and are Walker Quiet Flow SS 21362 14" oval case, 2-1/4" - if you can still find them, design should be reversible:

Edited by Trader - Jul/15/2021 at 9:42am
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 10:07am
Heh, I agree about the cherry bomb comment and was concerned based on their history growing up.  But cherry bomb has a large line and after lots of education on the subject I found that Cherry Bomb, Dynamax, Xlerator and others are made by the same company (they each have their own line names, but if interested look at their sites and the cut-aways/pictures and you will see that they have the same dimensions and even the same words describing them).  Turns out the Cherry Bomb "Salute" (the one I have, 18" body) is just next to, but slightly louder than, the Dynamax super turbo in sound.  Lots of U-tube stuff on the comparisons if anyone is interested.  I'll run these for a while and if a problem will likely try the super turbos but feel that they will not be much quieter.  We will see.... 
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 10:33am
Originally posted by 390amx1 390amx1 wrote:

Heh, I agree about the cherry bomb comment and was concerned based on their history growing up.  But cherry bomb has a large line and after lots of education on the subject I found that Cherry Bomb, Dynamax, Xlerator and others are made by the same company (they each have their own line names, but if interested look at their sites and the cut-aways/pictures and you will see that they have the same dimensions and even the same words describing them).  Turns out the Cherry Bomb "Salute" (the one I have, 18" body) is just next to, but slightly louder than, the Dynamax super turbo in sound.  Lots of U-tube stuff on the comparisons if anyone is interested.  I'll run these for a while and if a problem will likely try the super turbos but feel that they will not be much quieter.  We will see.... 
Just kidding about the Cherry Bombs. I have Hush Thrush Turbos on a 400+ horsepower engine and they are LOUD. They look very similar to the Dynomax Super Turbos in the cutaway pictures, except for a couple of small, curved metal deflectors inside. My feeling is that the early exhaust valve opening of my camshaft makes it louder than normal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic