TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

‘66 Rambler classic 232 opinion needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itschrisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

Originally posted by Itschrisb Itschrisb wrote:

When the engine isn’t fully warmed up the idle oil pressure is 10-12psi and cruising pressure is 45-50psi. Sitting in traffic still on a hot day like today and the engine a little on the hot side the idle pressure drops down to 5ish. Now these readings are in gear. If in park or neutral the pressure is between 5-10psi. 

Personally, I'd be thrilled with 45-50 psi at cruise. That's almost above normal for these old, understressed motors. Keep in mind it only takes about 3-5 psi to float the bearings, so you're still safe, even at idle/in gear. With regard to the psi drop with the car in gear at idle, this is to be expected, and also, might be a good idea to make sure that your in-gear idle speed is set to spec. If the idle speed is too low, pressure is going to drop right along with it.  IMHO, I think you are way overthinking/over-worrying about this. It takes a act of congress to kill these motors.

You know I have to agree with you. After researching the topic to death I’ve concluded that I believe the engine is more than okay. It may be tired or sludged up but I’m really not convinced it’s anything to justify replacing or tearing down and rebuilding right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic