TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mystery blue wire bypassing the NSS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7172AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery blue wire bypassing the NSS
    Posted: May/13/2021 at 10:05pm
Hi all,
Eons have passed and its time to make it safe to start. The car is scheduled into a movie shoot and stranger(s) will be driving my AMC. weird right. 72 Jav sst 360 auto, owned since 92 wiring is all factory. Seems all this time a phantom dark blue wire w/(white)tracer attached (factory crimped) along with the black wire (runs to ground terminal on the start sole.) at the engine harness side of the neutral safety/backup switch harness has a continuous path to ground, 56ohms to be precise. The switch works fine but its basically shunted to ground by this undocumented wire. It's nowhere to be found in the 72 FSM (schematic). I'm certain the NSS will operate proper if I cut this wire out. But what is its purpose? Where does it land? Appears to be running toward the firewall junction block. 
A nice citation for who helps solve and get the SST on the big screen!  

GoPacKman
71 JavAMX 401 T-10 354TG
72 JavSST 360 727 315TG
98 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 4WD
1970GroceryGetter View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970GroceryGetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 11:18pm
From doing some digging, another gentleman was describing the function of the neutral safety switch on your particular car/trans and here Is what he said, let me know if this makes sense or helps clear up the extra wire or just muddies the waters: “ The way the center pole on the transmission switch works is it provides ground when in park or neutral. On my 73 the starter solenoid has power from the ignition switch in start position going to the S terminal on the front side. On the back side is a pole sticking out that goes to the center pole on the trans switch so when the car is in park or neutral, the solenoid has a complete circuit to operate.”

-Rudy 
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 12:15am
The diagram shows a wire labeled "Automatic Transmission Only".  I would say that is your blue wire.
Its obvious that the Tan wire provides the power from the fuse panel.
Black is usually ground, but where does that black wire go in the diagram?
The Brown wire is probably the one next to the Tan wire in the connector, but again, where does it go in the diagram?  And what might the "DT" label on the brown wire mean?

Bill O.
70 AMX
7172AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7172AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 7:19am
Good questions. The NSS harness is 3 wire to the switch. The black wire runs back to the 1 pole connector back of solenoid. It's always grounded thru the mystery wire. That defeats the NSS, which checks out perfectly when isolated. Tan is +12 and brown is the lamp wire. I have to assume the "auto trans" note at the NSS is the normally closed (in park/neutral) switch to ground ala the dashed line in the diagram.  
I appreciate the help and will likely use a toner to try tracing the mystery wire before I cancel it from the circuit unless someone can come up with it's purpose in life. 
These FSMs are never without fault, but I always figured the schematics were spot on. 
Always learning.   
GoPacKman
71 JavAMX 401 T-10 354TG
72 JavSST 360 727 315TG
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 8:10am
This is from Eddie Stakes site and it makes more sense with the color codes you have.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
7172AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7172AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 3:59pm
Thanks Bee!  but my eyes aint what they used to be and that ones a bit blurred. What year is that off? 
I did find the Mystery wire's termination, got my toner on it today and it lands at this relay which i had no idea was there. it makes sense the relay aint on the schematic as this deals with the seat belt warning system, totally undocumented in the FSM. Not sure why the yellow pair is grounded which was the unwanted path to ground. pull off relay and problem solved for now. One fine day i'll restore the interior and get all the bells and whistles working too. 
Retirement cant come soon enuf. 
GoPacKman
71 JavAMX 401 T-10 354TG
72 JavSST 360 727 315TG
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 4:31pm
Eddie's site says that is from 1974.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 4:34pm
I'm going to guess yours is a later 72 because that shows up in a 73 wiring diagram.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic