TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tune-up Specs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 6:01am
I only pointed out that if your engine has a DUI distributor, it is NOT a "stock" distributor. And with all the knock-offs and clones out there, it's hard to tell what your vacuum advance is and what your total advance is...or what advance weights and springs are in it and how fast they come on.

Others have pointed out the same.

So saying you have a "stock" DUI actually tells us nothing about what you're starting out with. Knowing your cam specs would help greatly. Where to set initial timing depends on the mechanical components used to build your engine. 

All the others are giving good advice. Whether your engine requires 5 degrees advance at idle [depending also on where it idles] or 9 or 10 is all determined by the engine itself. Once non-stock components are in it, you have to determine a baseline that won't be found in any book. Cylinder pressure is a function of both compression [combustion chamber volume, quench, head gasket thickness and pistons] and cam timing [some cams are ground straight-up, some have 4 degrees or so of advance ground in].  If your engine isn't stock, stock specs will mean nothing because they won't apply to what your engine wants/needs. 

I'm sure you know all that. But there is NO "one-size-fits-all" answer once an engine is modified.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 11:13am
It seems like there is a way to figure out the duration and lift of a cam with a dial indicator that fits in the lifter bore. Measure the travel of #1 lifter exhaust/intake to help determine ideal timing ? 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 1:39pm
Images from the handy 1970 AMC Factory Technical Service Manual :

Very 1st thing AMC them self went after in their own corporate performance literature was the timing curve...

Excerpt from the rare red white & blue 1970 Rebel Machine Performance Package Booklet :

page 10 of 12:
rebel machine performance packages
When we say "Up With The Rebel Machine"  We Mean It !
The very fact that your are a REBEL MACHINE owner indicates you want
more than a set of wheels, you demand a GO-MACHINE THAT GOES!

Granted the REBEL MACHINE is a good performer, as is right off the showroom floor.
But just because you want to put more "muscle" into your MACHINE,
we suggest you consider one of the following performance packages.
--------------

i. tune-up kit

Performance can be improved with out sacrificing any of the built in compromises of
stock Rebel Machines, in addition to a basic tune-up we recommend the following:

*Change to a fast distributor curve and advance the distributor to a total of 26 Degrees.
( 26 Total Maximum Mechanical, above is a poorly worded sentence imho ).
The initial setting should be  at approx. 6 Degrees BTDC
( initial static timing advance, & with no mechanical coming in ).
The advance should be complete at 2800 ( engine ) RPM.
( 32 degrees total combined 6 Initial + 26 Mechanical )

*Re-jet the secondary circuit in your ( AutoLite 4300 ) carburetor 2% richer.

*Although your Rebel Machine is capable of more RPM, experience  on the drag strip
has shown that optimum performance can be obtained by setting shift points at 5000 RPM.
----------------

ii. tune-up plus

Still taking into consideration the need for compromise on stock manifolds,
you can achieve even more performance from your Rebel Machine with these further modifications:

*Change to a fast distributor curve and advance the distributor to a total of 26 degrees.
The initial setting  should be at approx. 6 Deg. BTDC.

*Re-jet the secondary circuit in your ( AutoLite 4300 ) carburetor 2% richer.

*Blueprint cylinder heads.  Valves should be reground to a performance seat,
combustion chambers should be cc'd and brought to the minimum of 49.10 CC's
by milling the head surfaces.  Mill .010 of an inch from the head to gain 1.6 CC's.

---------------------

iii. street ( all-out )

Once again though such production characteristics as idle, fuel economy, and exhaust sound
may be compromised, the all out street machine is still just that, a street machine.
Though its idle is rough, and its exhaust level somewhat loud, it is still quite tolerant in traffic,
reliable in cold weather, and generally tractable in all-around everyday use.
To create this kind of "machine" we recommend the following modifications and changes:

*Install tune-up kit ( As described above ).

*Blueprint cylinder heads  ( As described above ).

*Install Service Package Camshaft Kit which includes camshaft, hydraulic valve lifters, and springs.
AMC Service Part No. 448-6719

*Install replacement Edelbrock ( R4B ) aluminum intake manifold
 AMC Service Part No. 448-8409 ( 1970 & Up Manifold Only )

*Install replacement Holley 4-BBL 850 CFM, Dual Pump carburetor
 ( ? Holley List # ? )  AMC SERVICE PART NO. 448-8658
  ( boy... sure would LOVE to KNOW what Holley List # this was...)

*Install Doug Thorley Headers
 AMC Service Part No. Left  Side 448-5727 Right Side 448-5726
Purchase headers from hot rod shops, or order direct from Doug Thorley Header Co.

*Install Mallory Hi-Output Ignition System AMC Service Part No. 448-7900.
 The desired ignition curve is pre-set in the distributor from the factory.

-------
end of doc

Edited by PHAT69AMX - May/16/2021 at 11:23am
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

I only pointed out that if your engine has a DUI distributor, it is NOT a "stock" distributor. And with all the knock-offs and clones out there, it's hard to tell what your vacuum advance is and what your total advance is...or what advance weights and springs are in it and how fast they come on.

Others have pointed out the same.

So saying you have a "stock" DUI actually tells us nothing about what you're starting out with. Knowing your cam specs would help greatly. Where to set initial timing depends on the mechanical components used to build your engine. 

All the others are giving good advice. Whether your engine requires 5 degrees advance at idle [depending also on where it idles] or 9 or 10 is all determined by the engine itself. Once non-stock components are in it, you have to determine a baseline that won't be found in any book. Cylinder pressure is a function of both compression [combustion chamber volume, quench, head gasket thickness and pistons] and cam timing [some cams are ground straight-up, some have 4 degrees or so of advance ground in].  If your engine isn't stock, stock specs will mean nothing because they won't apply to what your engine wants/needs. 

I'm sure you know all that. But there is NO "one-size-fits-all" answer once an engine is modified.

I'll remember, stock specs mean nothing if your engine ain't stock, got it.  No "one size fits all", check.  Thank you for all the information and advice, especially appreciate the lesson on Cylinder Pressure.   

Madd X
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 3:59pm
Now this is the type of information I was looking for!  
Thank you very much PHAT69AMX.
Madd X
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 9:30pm
Because we are in fact trying to be helpful, let me add to the above. The "Street, all out" build is probably the closest to what you have. If you want something sanctioned by the factory, The Mallory hi output system they mention has 24 degrees of mechanical advance all in at 3000 rpm's. The factory reccomended setting is at 14 degrees BTDC with a total of 38 advance. Given your lower compression that is probably safe. With today's garbage fuel I use more like 12 and 36 total, but I also have full 1970 spec compression. 

Chris 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 6:35am
That's another good point Chris.
You cannot use factory specifications due to the changes in fuel from the early 70's to today.
A lot depends on what is available in you local area and that may also be a crap shoot.
Were I live, 91 premium is 10% ethanol. Ethanol is an octane booster but has less BTU. Reducing initial and overall timing, 10 initial and 35 total seem to be were I have to run now. When the Premium had no ethanol, I ran 12 initial and 37 total.
We have 93 Premium, 30% ethanol at one local station that my car runs like a toothless dog with a purse dog bark.  
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2021 at 3:16pm
In finalizing this post this was what I changed and what I plan to do in the near future.
 Want to say thanks for your posts and the ideas that came from them. 

Using the information provided by this post and my lifetime of experiences with this old iron I got the AMX running pretty good and meant my objective of being able to use 89 octane.  Whether all these items had to be done to accomplish the goal I don't really know, I just started making one adjustment after other until I ran out of ideas.  To inventory changes I;  1) stayed with the same heat range plug except I opened the gap to .055, 2) leaned the carburetor out by about 4 %, 3) went with a softer step up spring on the AVS, 4) set initial timing at 10 degrees, the DUI mechanical advance added an additional 24 degrees for a total of 34 degrees which was all in at 3000 rpm. That, I found was their recommended curve and advance for my 390. 4) Reduced throw of the accelerator pump linkage. 5) Will reset the valve lash when I received my new valve covers and also install a O2 sensor to help measure A/F ratios. 6) Have decided to go old school and build my own WMI system to be controlled by vacuum and RPM to eliminate any possibility of higher load/rpm detonation. 

Madd X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic