TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 amx fuel sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 2:23pm
The top reading looks to be 11 ohms

The bottom looks to be around 80 ohms.

Going by angle of the camera during photo and 10x must be done with the upper scale going right to left

For small values of resistance that meter will put you in the ball park. Hard to say how much without a second meter, as a confirmation.

Edited by 304-dude - May/15/2021 at 2:26pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 2:38pm
i have another digital ohm meter that will be here shortly.. i will check that and report
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 2:59pm
Ok...

In the mean time, i think you could easily adjust the 80 ohms at full reading to be 73 or 72, depending on accuracy of th dial on your meter.

Take note of the float placement at Full and Empty.
Slighlty adjust the Empty stop tang inward to lower the resistance down to 73. You will notice the float at Empty is a wee higher than before.

Without undoing the set angle of the bend of the float wire you can hold the bend end with a vice-grip (to keep it from changing its form), and with a pair of pliers placed before the bend, make a slight bend to lower the float a wee bit. Not too much as you will be lowering the float height of Full. You may do a before and after picture of the float height, with a yard stick as the horizontal to show how close the float is to the top of the tank.

If the slight bend does not help after the adjustment of the Empty stop tang, you can undo the adjustment to as it was, and the stop tang's return back to its original position to give you 80 ohms.

Don't know if it makes sense, to try... its a simplified variant to my help thread. Though my help thread was based on tackling a set of unknowns that can be part of the issue and adjusted to assist with correcting.

Edited by 304-dude - May/15/2021 at 3:24pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 3:01pm
new digital meter is here and reads the same as the analog.  hmm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

new digital meter is here and reads the same as the analog.  hmm

So your getting 1 ohm or 10 ohms?

Confused as to what I saw on the scales, and what you stated originally.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 3:07pm
Crimey, I had noticed I wrote my adjustment too fast. Reread it as the adjustment is for Empty not Full.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 3:23pm
the readings i am getting are
empty  =  85 ohms
full       =  10 ohms..

i noticed that the wiper arm is very sloppy and looking into the inspection hole on the sender, i can see that the wiper comes off the board when the slop moves the arm around.  i am thinking that the electrical wiper is not making good contact with the board...

I hooked up the sender to the car and turned the key on.. when the sender is in the empty position the gauge says empty.  when at the full stop it does read full..  inbetween, it varies depending on which way the slop on the wiper arm is positioned..
something tells me this is just a poorly made sender.
i wonder if the slop can be adjusted in any way.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 4:09pm
Yes, you need to pinch the bent housing that holds the arm as it pivots. You will need to make sure you pinch without distorting. Water pump pliers will do. You should be able to pinch a wee bit out of the slop, without locking the livot. At least its that way with oem, as i had to pry to get my resistor board out, and pinch it back into shape.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 7:35pm
i took it apart and slightly bent the electrical wiper.  now it makes contact all of the time.. plugged it into the car and it appears to be working correctly..

time to get the tank back in the car and add gas 5 gallons at a time and see what happens.

Thanks everybody
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic