TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How to clean seat tracks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to clean seat tracks?
    Posted: May/10/2021 at 5:43pm
I've never found a way to get all the crunchy grit out of the ball bearing sliding seat tracks. Is there a way to disassemble (and critically, reassemble)? I tried soaking them out, etc.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2021 at 9:22pm
Tried the same thing on AMX/Javelin seat tracks. Ended up in my parts washer tank and used a long 22 caliber bore brush to get as much of the old grease and grit out of the tracks as possible. It took a while! I re-lubed with spray white lithium grease (after drying thoroughly) and they work pretty well now. I tried to bend the tang on an early Rambler seat track to allow the captive track to be taken out and it broke off. Didn't want to risk it on the AMX/Jav tracks, they're getting hard to find. Good luck.

Terry
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2021 at 11:29pm
Some things in life must remain mysteries... lol. 

I'll report back if I find anything interesting. 

PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2021 at 2:34am
Hi, 
I use diesel fuel to clean grease is safe for metal and rubber. It takes time so, leave them on a big close container for a few days and use a brush them.
Bye from Spain

1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 12:35am
Thanks pablo. I soaked for a while in purple degreaser, used a stiff brush to get in the first few inches, and it is hugely improved. I've done that before will less luck.

I'm about to build an engine so a few items will go to the shop for hot-tank and I will put the two seat tracks in the pile. THey're all metal.

It is a puzzle how they are even assembled. The track mounting tabs are riveted on with stout rivets, maybe that is all. There is a thin sheet metal retainer for the side small balls, I thought maybe there was a detent retaining them, but no luck. I got 2.5"/10cm drywall screws into them, and pulled, no luck. 

Hot tank it is.

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 7:57am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

I soaked for a while in purple degreaser
That should get the grease out from under the finger nails. Were the seat tracks in there with you? Smile

Applying solvent under pressure to the tracks should work, or an agitated solvent bath.  I vaguely remember cleaning my seat tracks. I think I sprayed brake cleaner using the straw to get further into the mechanism. They weren't all that gummed up though.

Hot tank should work, but you'll need to repack the grease.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

I soaked for a while in purple degreaser
That should get the grease out from under the finger nails. Were the seat tracks in there with you? Smile

Have you used that stuff lately? Burns your skin, melts grease and oil. For my '60 American wagon, I'll probably use less than two quarts of solvent, and mainly for that little stuff you don't wanna soak, and 2-1/2 gallons of this stuff. Absolutely must wear thick chemical-proof rubber gloves. Front suspensions I scrape with a putty knife all the heavy crap, then soak and brush with purple stuff. Paintably clean when done, flash rust.

Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

Hot tank should work, but you'll need to repack the grease.

Yeah, that's an issue. Why I'd love to disassemble. It's not often I can't figure out how a thing is assembled. 

I'm finding for some places where "lubriplate" type grease was called for, high-tech bicycle chain lubes work pretty well, and go in as a liquid but leave a good film. Best I can do without access to the metal.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic