TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission Mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldGuyinCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Mount
    Posted: May/08/2021 at 12:22pm
I am a new member with a transmission mount question.

I am in the process of restoring a 1961 Rambler American Convertible Custom with the 196 OHV engine and Flashomatic transmission.  The engine and transmission are supported by mounts on the engine front end and a crossmember under the bell housing.  The transmission is cantilevered off the bell housing and while the transmission has tapped bosses for a support there is no crossmember on the car to attach the transmission to.  This appears to be by design as the Technical Service Manual and Parts Catalog don't show any support on the transmission.  I am concerned because the bell housing that came with my car had cracked in the past and been welded.  I have been able to source a replacement but don't want the new one to crack as well.

Is there an aftermarket support that could be put on the car to support the transmission?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 12:59am
That is indeed the normal mounting system; two pads up front, two on the bell. I think your cracked bell is unusual. It's not something I would worry about. 

(Just occurred to me that I will be installing exactly that setup in a '60 and I haven't sought out rear mounts... the fronts are easy, 73 cents (really) on RockAuto.com just today...)

I'd swap the bell for the good one for sure (and hold onto the old one for a while at least). Maybe it was dropped; maybe a service station jacked the car on it. Flawed casting, failed after a bunch of years.  Out of curiosity, where is the crack?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

OldGuyinCO View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldGuyinCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 9:29am
Crack is right along the top and sides, just forward of the attachment to the transmission.  It runs from just above the lower bolt locations all the way around the top. 
I can attach an image if I can figure out how to do that.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 10:34pm
you need to have made 30 or 35 posts in order to post pics. 

I've not heard of this as a problem, maybe others have, but I suspect you have a freak problem part. Or someone once tightened all the bolts with something between bell and trans or something. Maybe the cracked one was misshapen and someone tightened a bolt to straighten it out. There may not ever be a way to know.

Make sure the mating surfaces are flat, pay reasonable attention to torques.  Don't force anything, etc.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 6:31am
I've had several 61-63 Americans over the years and never saw a cracked bell. The auto tranny bell (air cooled) has vents around the perimeter where the trans body bolts to the bell, making it a bit weaker than the manual trans bell, and I've never seen one of those cracked either. In fact, the only cracked bell housing I've ever seen was in a 88 Commanche pickup that had been in a wreck. So either the bell (not necessarily the car) has been in a wreck or as TomJ suggested, the trans was jacked on there was some other issue that caused the crack.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic