TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

skinny tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 11:16am
A whole variety of tall skinny tires are available for the VW's, probably the only remaining car type with such tall skinny tires that has any substantial numbers on the road. 195's, 165's, 14's, 15's etc and you can even get 8 ply tires for light trucks. 

Just sayin',

Chris 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 10:49pm
Hey, thanks! I'd given up searching the major online places (with their large-seemign databases). I hadn't thought of trailer tires, and precision handling isn't on the menu. I should have thought of the VW beetle world.

Nexen came up here and there. I think what I need to do is visit my local tire shop and show up with some of the results here. THe 165/80 (lol, never occurred to me to look for 80s) is a wee bit short, but not bad. So maybe all is not lost.

I have a 205/50-16 mounted on one of the Stockton Wheel steelies I had made for the roadster. Thats too short, but there is plenty of room. The spring spring is out and the car on stands so I used a floor jack to go from full extend to drop and turned lock to lock. At its closest there's still two inches.

Thanks everyone for the advice. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2021 at 11:35am
This morning I went over my notes and spreadsheets... on my old 63 American (T96+OD, 3.78 axle) top gear plus OD was 2100 rpm at 60 mph, with 215/65-15 tires. Maybe a bit low but I don't recall any problems and at that time I was commuting 100 miles/day (LA to UC Irvine), admittedly ideal conditions; flat smooth and cool. But it was fine on trips to Santa Fe NM etc.

Those were 26" tall tires. But they fit on the front of the car and had half an inch to the fender in the rear. Lol, and my notes then say I went through all this logic (wanted skinny, settled for fat, no regrets, etc) back then (2005-ish). 

I think I'm gonna make my life simpler and take the easy way out.

This time I'll have an automatic, so dropping out of OD to climb a hill won't be an option; 2nd in the T35 is I think 1.77, a nearly 50% MPH drop for same RPM, so it'll be 60mph or 35mph, my choice. I remember that issue from my 63 Classic wagon (232 and T35). On long grades I'm in the right lane with hazards on slogging 40 mph up the hill. Meh, that's less than 1% of a long trip, it worked before it'll work again.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

mmontgomery View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmontgomery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2021 at 8:13pm
Like others have said about vw tires. Some of the drag cars are now using motorcycle tires. I haven’t used those before but I have put plenty of miles on the vw tires when my mustang was more streetable and a bunch of passes since it converted to full drag. Now that I think about it the tires are about 10 years old.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic