TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Part Identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX_1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Part Identification
    Posted: May/07/2021 at 6:51pm
I'm in the middle of modifying my 74' AMX Javelin to and EFI system, and I'm removing parts I no longer need. However, the wiring harness from my 727 transmission comes up to the engine bay and connects to a vacuum sensor along with some sort of switch. Can anyone help me identity what these actually do, and if I can remove them or bypass them in some way? Thanks [IMG]https://d.img.vision/amx.1974/IMG_20210507_175824872.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://d.img.vision/amx.1974/IMG_20210507_175816142.jpg[/IMG]
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2021 at 7:02pm
That's the Transmission Controlled Spark sensor, where the transmission gear helped determine how much vacuum advance went to the distributor. You can do without it.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2021 at 7:05pm
That may be transmission controlled spark, you have pointed out. I guess your not emissions concerned. There should be a 2 connection trailer type connection up front near the driver head light wiring and washer pump. That can be disconnected and the vaccume switch to the coil bracket can be removed.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMX_1974 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX_1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2021 at 7:21pm
Most of the emissions equipment was already disconnected when I got the car, so I'm not too concerned about keeping what's left intact. So the wire to the switch, that hooks up the the transmission line can be disconnected? As well as the connection to the vacuum advance? Should I just crimp them off and tape them into the main wiring harness? And even delete the transmission line completely?

Thanks for the help, I just don't want to get rid of anything that is more or less important.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2021 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by AMX_1974 AMX_1974 wrote:

Most of the emissions equipment was already disconnected when I got the car, so I'm not too concerned about keeping what's left intact. So the wire to the switch, that hooks up the the transmission line can be disconnected? As well as the connection to the vacuum advance? Should I just crimp them off and tape them into the main wiring harness? And even delete the transmission line completely?

Thanks for the help, I just don't want to get rid of anything that is more or less important.

Technically 73 and 74 had two temperature contolled vacuum switches. One on the thermistat and the other on the intake near the temptature sending unit. You may have one or both pipe plugged. Those are not required. Basically you can run a direct vacuum line to your advance, and skip all that mumbo jumbo.

I remove it the temprature switch and vacuume port vent that are mounted on the upper radiator support on my 73, as well. Back in the late 80s, California had pocket areas that allowed exemption to emissions tests. Also with proof of being too costly to replace or repair, your car could be exempt. Once done on clean up not much is left over from emmisions.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2021 at 9:53pm
Switching from carb to modern EFI system will far exceed the capability of all that old smog crap by a significant factor!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2021 at 11:43am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Switching from carb to modern EFI system will far exceed the capability of all that old smog crap by a significant factor!

Absolutely, an ECM adjusting to stoichiometric using an oxygen sensor will be far cleaner than the best ‘70’s smog tech. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic