TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 Hornet 37 years of wanting pays off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 Hornet 37 years of wanting pays off
    Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 1:10am
I located the car that I've wanted since 1984. I just started driving my 74 Javelin to high school in 1984 and fell in love with hatchback Hornet that was just down the road from my school. As a young teenager at the time, this car was everything I dreamed of. The streets were loaded with hot rods and this car was a heavy hitter. Back in the day, the car had a 390 from a 70 Machine a T-10 4 speed trans. with an AMC 20 rear sporting 4.44 gears. I tried to purchase it but it was never for sale. It sat at a house for many years with a few other cars and eventually the house was torn down for the installation of a Vdot center and wider road. From time to time the car would pop up in my head and I would ponder the memories wondering what ever happened to it. Three years ago I started to search addresses and related names. I tracked a name connected from the old house to another address that was two cities away. I wrote it down and put in the desk drawer. I woke up last Friday night with the car on my mind again and decided to take a drive the next morning. The drive was close to 30-35 miles from the cars original location on an old dirt mountain rd. I pulled up a hill to a tin garage and there it sat next to another Hornet. Amazingly, the car was still in very solid shape with a 1985 inspection decal. I met a guy at the shop, told him the story and he introduced himself as the original owner of the car.
The 390 engine was gone but the T-10 trans and 4.44 rear are still there. He has a 360 to go with the car along with the headers and all other parts. It comes with another solid and complete Hornet 304 car. Both cars are factory V8 cars. We made a deal and I'm hoping to bring one car home this weekend. This is going to be a fun project and I'm very excited
74 AMC JAVELIN HIGH SCHOOL CAR
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 2:31am
Cool story. Keep us posted on the rebuild.
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 8:37am
Great story. Cool car. Good luck!
72 Gremlin X
Mac VP View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac VP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 11:30am
I ordered a brand new 1974 Hornet Hatchback X with the 304 V8 in January of ‘74. It was the metallic blue with the gold X stripes. Had it for 12 years and of course, I wish I’d kept it. Fast forward to a couple years ago and I located a real nice 73 hatchback with the 232 six. I’d love to have a V8 in this one. Good luck with the restore and keep us posted as you go.
AMXTRA View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2021 at 7:33pm
Got it home today.
74 AMC JAVELIN HIGH SCHOOL CAR
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic