TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Glass binding in new rubber channel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnRyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass binding in new rubber channel
    Posted: Apr/20/2021 at 12:31pm
I'm refreshing the doors on my Ambassador. Removed the glass, power window mechanism, latch etc, then cleaned, regreased, replaced.  I purchased new window channel from one of the AMC vendors and carefully installed it in the aluminum frame. I was sort of proud of myself on how well it went in and how even it looked.

After reinstalling everything, the glass binds in the channel. Even loosening the mounting bolts to give everything a little play did not help. The glass without the frame goes up and down smoothly.

I have attached a picture of the profiles of the old channel (left) and the new channel (right). The new channel appears to be thicker than the old. I think this may be the cause, but if so, there should be others having the same issue.

Are all the replacement channels from the different vendors the same? I assume they all order from the same source.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I overlooking some basic adjustment? I tried to match the previous bolt locations when reinstalling, but to get the glass into the upper channel (just barely), I had to assist the power window with a crow bar!

Many thanks for any comments.

Adolph John Rydzewski
Newark, Delaware

Edited by JohnRyd - Apr/20/2021 at 12:49pm
Adolph John Rydzewski
Newark, Delaware
1972 Ambassador 4dr Brougham, 360/2BBL/727 purchased new
1968 AMX 390/Auto
1957 Hudson Hollywood 327/Auto
1975 Cadillac Eldorado
1992 Lumina Z34 5 speed
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2021 at 12:05am
John,
I hope you get an answer.  The profiles of the original and the replacement definitely appear to be significantly different.

I have been having the same problem with a Jeep Window.  In my case, the new weatherstripping is not from a vendor.  I tried an as close as I could get at Carlisle match.  I don't really have a good one from the door that I am working on since it is all dry and crumbly.  I can go back a few years to some parts doors but who knows if there were any design changes from year to year in the door or the channel gasket.

I have seen lots of cars that have nice paint and interior but terrible weatherstripping.  I think you and I are finding out why.  I even have a 68 Ambassador that was a driver restoration.  It has fuzzies in the window channels not anything rubber.  I think the restorer, who was a glass man, might have had the same problem.  Someday I may need to visit him and take a closer look at a few of his other AMCs and see what is in the window channel.

VR,
Dave
Norfolk, VA  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic