TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 rebuild/replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 258 rebuild/replacement
    Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 1:43pm
I’m weighing out my options on my 83 Cherokee.  The truck has a 258 that’s getting a bit tired. I really like to stick with the 258 with a auto, but a 4.7 stroker intrigues me. There are 4.7 long blocks out there relatively cheap. Is the 4.0 a straight up bolt in to replace the 258?  I’m trying to avoid welding mounts etc. 
TheBirdman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2021 at 1:35pm
When I first got my eagle running, I swapped a 4.0 into it and it was super easy, I swapped the manifold, carb, distributor, and accessory drive from the 258 onto the 4.0 and it was very close to a direct bolt in. I think pretty much the only modification it needed was a little clearancing with the 4.0 header and the 258 power steering bracket. If you wanna go with fuel injection, its a bit more complicated, but still not very difficult as far as swaps go.
1983 Eagle Wagon
4.0 from 93 cherokee
AW4, NP242, and EFI from 99 cherokee
69gladiator View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2021 at 9:12pm
I’ve heard mixed opinions regarding the engine mounts. I really need to see one installed in an older jeep. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic