TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BW M40 Auto Trans - any issues paired with a 390?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BW M40 Auto Trans - any issues paired with a 390?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BW M40 Auto Trans - any issues paired with a 390?
    Posted: Apr/18/2021 at 7:03pm
I found out a previous owner replaced the original auto trans in my 1969 AMX (which has a 390) with a BW M40, which went with the 290 engines. Is there any trouble I can expect with this combination? It currently shifts great and there are no issues that I can feel when I drive it. I pulled the pan and fluid looked good, nothing in the filter either. 
Thanks for any insights...
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2021 at 7:24pm
All I can recommend it go easy on the gas! The M40 was made for a 210 hp engine, not for a 315 hp one.  If you drive it gently, it may last. If you like to squeal the tires, it will be toast.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Stink View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 11:27am
Thanks Ramblin, I'll do that, although if it goes, then I have my excuse to drop a modern 4 speed automatic in it! 

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 2:24pm
I would start planning for a replacement.  Why have a powerful car if you have to drive it like there's an egg under your foot?  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2021 at 7:05am
I have to agree with Steve. At least with an operating trans you don't have to be in a hurry to find a replacement, but better start looking. You don't have to exactly drive like there is an egg under the pedal, but I wouldn't be hard on it either. Normal driving will be fine. Even the 290/4V got the heavier BW M-11, as AMC knew people would be trouncing it with the 4V.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic