TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

304 rebuild has been sitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clanofwolves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 304 rebuild has been sitting
    Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 10:51am
Hey guys, I'm still trying to get my '72 SST in a rolling condition and I have a question. 
I had the 304 rebuilt three years ago and it's been sitting (because I had the car at a body shop that was swapping my labor for the shop owner's needs for bodywork and a paint job; I did my 9K worth, he didn't do anything but get overspray on the glass and rims, ugg!). I installed the rebuild and it has had all of the openings sealed and it was wrapped in plastic in that shop for that time. Should I do anything to check out her condition before finishing up the details and get her to the point of firing her up? If so, what?

Thanks... I've never had a rebuild have to sit.

75Cj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 11:18am
Was oil sitting in it too?

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 1:12pm
If it had oil in it, drain it and refill with fresh oil.
If it didn't have oil in it, fill it.
Prime and rotate the engine, drain and refill with fresh oil. Just trying to ensure there is fresh lubrication on everything from sitting so long. After this long even the assembly lube has moved off and there is metal to metal contact points throughout the engine.
Firing it up without priming and rotating is a recipe to spin a bearing.

Finish assembly and fire it up.
That's what I would do.
clanofwolves View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clanofwolves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by 75Cj5 75Cj5 wrote:

Was oil sitting in it too?

No. The builder coated the interior parts with a substance, but I cannot recall what it was.
clanofwolves View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clanofwolves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

If it had oil in it, drain it and refill with fresh oil.
If it didn't have oil in it, fill it.
Prime and rotate the engine, drain and refill with fresh oil. Just trying to ensure there is fresh lubrication on everything from sitting so long. After this long even the assembly lube has moved off and there is metal to metal contact points throughout the engine.
Firing it up without priming and rotating is a recipe to spin a bearing.

Finish assembly and fire it up.
That's what I would do.
That sounds like a plan I can get behind. I haven't knowledge on this issue, but if left to my own devices I might come up with something like that, so it resonates with me. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic