TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Valley Pan Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 8:34am
Thanks Steve_P. I was not going to say it but still reuse a valley pan if it has been carefully removed and has no "kinks".
Thin film of Hylomar around the intake runners and RTV around the the coolant passages. Exhaust gets blocked.
Used ones are much easier to install then new as they already have the bend in them and don't tend to "pop" out of position. Never had leak issues.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 9:13am
I have re-used many of them in the past, but since I grew up and had a budget I don't generally bother. I usually put a very thin scraping of Aviation form a gasket around the ports and a similar thin layer of silicone around the wanter jackets, so the crush area is less critical. I used to use an SOS pad and clean the gasket surface down and as Trader says, if it does not have any kinks you are probably ok. Never had one leak. 

Chris 

PS: I don't use the end gaskets, I use a bead of silicon there anyway. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 9:36am
X2 on not using the end gaskets. I just tore down a 304 that the rear end gasket "buckled" on.
 What a mess with the owner trying all sorts of things to keep the engine running and not being able to get it figured out as a 1980 Jeep has so many vacuum control circuits that most garages don't know were to start any more.
Too bad as the parts that usually get worn out with this much carbon contamination are the timing chain, distributor gears, cam, lifters and block bore. Pistons, rods, crankshaft are all within factory spec.
A 360 rebuild is his cheaper option at this point.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 10:52am
I installed dog leg heads on my 390 and could not use the rubber end gaskets with the 401 AirGap intake, applied sealer. Easy. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 11:09am
Once everything is set up, a nice even bead about 1/8" thick will do it. If you put the intake down carefully you should end up with a neat bead and a perfect seal. If you have done any head or block shaving the rubber end pieces might either squeeze out or prevent the intake from sealing well.

Chris
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 11:37am
The 1980 304 I mentioned was stock, factory head gaskets ... Only the rocker covers were replaced and water pump. At some point it just let go in the middle to form a nice little "U".
This is not the first time I've seen a factory engine lose seal on a valley end gasket. I cannot remember this happening on a car though, just Jeeps??? I'm wondering if it's just the later heads and 2V intakes with the bigger EGR? There is a lot more heat at the rear of the bigger EGR intakes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic