TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lazy Rocker Arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 3:01pm
Yup that's tight. Intake clearance is much less critical than exhaust. Don't float the valves!
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 10:51pm
Noted, I will try to avoid floating the valves. The good thing is I have just put now valve springs on it, so that might help. 

It did start this morning and I was able to load it onto the trailer, so that is something
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 7:23am
Why not just install the proper adjustable SBC studs and stock SBC length pushrods?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 9:11am
It had SBC studs in it, that’s part of the problem, really needs factory studs and the correct length pushrods to control the factory rockers properly.

Running SBC studs, proper roller rockers and the correct length pushrods is obviously the best option for what I’m doing.

Anyway, did get about 7 runs in before something broke. New PB in the process, so some good and some bad. More details to follow.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 3:02am
All good in the end, that I thought was tap tap tap, turned out to be choof choof choof, blown header gasket. There might be a witness mark on one of the pistons from an intake valve, but nothing bent and no loss of compression.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 5:12am
Good to hear that you set another PB.  Do you think you picked up anything from the front suspension upgrades this year, or mostly just other fine tuning?
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 10:21am
Just saw this now. I have had a similar issue for literally decades. I have one valve that insists on running cockeyed like yours does. #3 exhaust or #6 if I reverse the heads.  I am not clear if the cast in guide wore out and that is the problem, or if that wear is only a symptom. Either way, it has worn a good 1/8" or so into the head. 

I have swapped sides for the head and the problem followed it. I am running adjustable studs, .477" lift cam and stock rockers. I solved the issue by simply putting a guide plate on it and that keeps it running close enough. I can rev it to 6k, though I don't usually bother. I do a hot running valve adjustment on it, which makes it quiet, otherwise it ticks a bit. 

I am looking forward to seeing what solutions come from this!

Thanks!

Chris
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 4:59pm
Chris, I think the root cause is already covered above, basically the slot in the stock rocker arm is too wide and allows too much freedom of movement on a non-shouldered aftermarket stud.

In my case, changing to a roller rocker greatly reduces the freedom of movement of the rocker tip on the valve tip. The rocker still runs a little off center (left to right) on the valve tip, so it really needs a slightly offset rocker arm to fully center the tip on the valve.

Guide plates would also reduce the freedom of movement, which is why they work as a solution as would running the factory shouldered stud in the original non-adjustable arrangement. You could possible weld up the slot in the rocker arm to reduce it's width and even correct any misalignment, but that is probably just making a lot of work for yourself.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2021 at 3:27pm
Thats what happens when you dont use the shouldered stud, it is what guides the rocker along with the pushrod slot. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic