TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No spark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 10:44am
I tried to adjust or close down the points but the dwell wouldn't change. Getting another set of points anyhow because the metal strip on them came off and flew or fell down somewhere and after looking with a magnet , trouble light for an hour, couldn't find it. As you mentioned in your previous post about the wire under the plate might have come apart I was going to try and check that but don't know how the plate comes off, and so when trying to put the points back in, that metal piece flew off.
WeatherEye View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

the points have to open and close.  the points close, this charges the coil and then when the points open, the coil fires.  The points work by grounding the primary circuit.  So the wire to the distributor needs to be hooked to the (-) terminal.  The wire from the coil to the distributor can be damaged, it runs through a grommet and can be broken or shorted in the grommet.  This wire connects to the points.  The plate the points bolt to has a ground wire that grounds the plate to the body of the distributor.  I just rebuilt two old points distributors last week and BOTH had the ground wire broken.  You can check the continuity to ground from the negative terminal, and if you have a dwell meter you can check the dwell when cranking.  The grounding/opening/grounding cycle is what the meter detects.
You also have to have voltage to the (+) terminal on the coil.  Some wiring harnesses bypass a resistor and some iginiton wires connect to the starter, sorry I am a little fuzzy on that but I have no recall on a 1962.  But you can run a jumper from the battery to the coil (+) terminal if you aren't sure you are getting voltage from the ignition harness.

I think my problem is the ground wire in the distributor. I don't know how the plate comes off as it is held down by springs. Can a wire connection be made from the plate connecting to somewhere to the distributor inside the cap of course out of the way of the rotor and work?
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 5:04pm
I believe the ground strap on my (stock 1969 vintage) were from the screw that mounts the vacuum advance to a connector that is spot welded to the plate.  The connector looks like it might have been a crimp connection originally.  I pried up the tabs on the connector and soldered the wire.  Yes this is all in side the cap and well away from the rotor and springs.  The plate moves when the vacuum advance moves so there is a loop or "pigtail" in the wire to relieve stresses at the terminals.  Needed obviously because it does break there.
Good luck!

Edited by BassBoat - Apr/17/2021 at 5:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic