TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Factory A/C vs Vintage Air

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory A/C vs Vintage Air
    Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 4:04pm
Afternoon. I have a 72 AMX with a 401. It is all orginal and a non AC car. I am trying to decide if I should put factory AC in to maintain orginality or go with an aftermarket like MOPARGUY vintage air system. Any thoughts on which way to go. I only go to local cruise ins and shows so not trying to win anything just have a pleasant drive during the summer in Alabama. I have a donner car with all AC intact.
being Alive is not the same as Living
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 4:25pm
I would go with vintage air. Just to keep the originality of a non a/c machined overlay. Plus it may be easier and quicker to source and install.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 4:44pm
Thanks for the input. As far as sourcing I have access to a complete factory setup including the inside dash and crash pad from a donner car just trying to figuire which might be easier. so your thinking is a unit from vintage air would be best. Appreciate the input. Will update when I finally decide
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by 72_AMX 72_AMX wrote:

Thanks for the input. As far as sourcing I have access to a complete factory setup including the inside dash and crash pad from a donner car just trying to figuire which might be easier. so your thinking is a unit from vintage air would be best. Appreciate the input. Will update when I finally decide

If you have a complete setup ready to install then, that will save time and money. There is a small difference with weather eye on 73 and 74 than 71 and 72. 73 on up use a vacuum actuated heater valve. It is easier to upgrade if the A/C is from a 73 or 74. Just be aware that on the air box there is a vacuum switch, that needs to be there for 73 and 74.

Other than that you may need to check cables, they go bad and stick. There is reproduction cables made by forum member.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 5:15pm
All my friends who have vintage air setups say that their units don't
really "cool" the interior, just make it more tolerable.  Their $.02.
If others confirm this, I would install the factory unit from the donor car.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 5:56pm
Factory air will probably work better and it would certainly look a lot better. May also be better for resale when that time comes as well.   
Just my opinion!
   Dennis   

Edited by THE MENACE - Apr/06/2021 at 5:58pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 5:59pm
I agree with Bikerfox. I installed a vintage air system in a 68 Camaro. Had a well known tune up & A/C shop charge the system. It is an okay system but it is really hard to beat GM's a/c. My Silverado has a/c and the Vintage Air system pales in comparison.  
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2021 at 4:57pm
Thanks for all the info. I think I am going to go with the factory setup. Thanks 304 Dude for the info on the difference between 73 &74 vs 71&72 I wasn't aware of that. My donor is a 71 AMX so it should work the same as a 72 would. Also I have already contacted greyhound AMX about new cables. Really appreciate the info and advice. Hope to get all the parts in so that I can put them in July as I do some other work to her (Paint touch up). Still have to find a Paint house that still has the original formula for D7 Trams AM Red. I have the original Manufactures Paint number just trying to find a Source. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic