TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lots of questions as I consider getting an I6 Ramb
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lots of questions as I consider getting an I6 Ramb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 4:55pm
Saw this advertised on the AMC Rambler Club site:

Up in Connecticut but might be worth a road trip after talking with the seller.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Nodak68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nodak68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2021 at 5:12pm
I was much like you five years ago when I bought my 68 Rogue with a 232/auto.  I started with a carb and intake swap (1980's 258 aluminum intake and MC 2150 carb) and pertronix ignition...a little more sauce, but still not that thrilling to drive.  Next I started going down the road of a 4.0 head swap, and quickly realized it would really be no harder to just swap out the engine, and maybe go to a manual or modern 4-speed auto.  Before you know it I was having Golen Engine Service up in NH building me a 4.7 stroker (4.0 block with Golen stroker kit and Edelbrock aluminum 4.0 head) that's backed by an AX-15 5 speed like 6768Rogues is running.  I think that in terms of simplicity and performance for the buck--all while practically a straight up bolt-in installation--the 4.0 (and trans) swap is hard to beat, and you don't have to do a fairly extensive build like I did to get a major increase in fun factor.

Just an aside regarding engine management--if the idea of trying to get the factory 4.0 EFI/ignition to work seems intimidating, you can easily run a carb or aftermarket throttle body EFI (FiTech, Holley Sniper, etc) on the 4.0.  In my case, the donor engine I had came with a harness, but it was a real mess and the ECU was shot.  I looked for a good/complete harness in the yards for awhile, but finally decided to punt and just go with a FiTech Go Street 400 hp system.  I designed an adapter to mate the throttle body to a stock late-model 4.0 intake and it works like a champ, plus has all the mounting points for a full up modern 4.0 serpentine belt setup.   My 4.7 stroker makes around 280 hp, and (with aluminum head) is about 150 lbs lighter than sticking in a V8.  With the 5 speed and the right gears (I swapped out the original 2.37s for 3.07s) the thing really hauls a$$ and parts are easily sourced from 90's Jeeps/Dodges.  Regardless of what you do you'll have alot of fun and have a limitless supply of things you can spend money and time on LoL!
That which does not kill us makes us stronger...
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2021 at 7:23am
Just get a car with a 199 or 232 and you're good to go. Note that if you want to swap a later model engine in later, or want a different transmission, that you will need to swap the engine and trans together. In 1972 AMC changed the engine to bell housing bolt pattern, so pre 71 engine can't use later model transmissions. It is possible to change manual trannys with some work (relatively easy to put a pre 71 trans on a 72+ engine, not 72+ trans on earlier engine though), but not automatics. The crankshaft end changed for the automatics also. But 72+ AMC sixes are relatively easy to find and cheap, and easy to swap in.

A 64-65 American is a good choice, but they typically have the older 195.6 OHV six, and you could still get the flathead six as well (base models). Either are good engines, just old and low powered. They would function fine as a weekend cruiser. The OHV needs regular, specific maintenance but is otherwise reliable and has adequate power for a cruiser. The flathead is a little weak, but great for around town. I wouldn't use it if regular long distance cruising is part of the plan. It will struggle on longer, higher speed cruises and a bit in modern traffic. It can be done, just keep speeds to around 55-60 and expect it to slow a little up longer/steeper hills and not accelerate very fast. You have to time things better getting into heavy traffic too. You can do it with some experience, I did in my youth, but I also swore I'd never have another flathead as a daily driver!

The newer engines will fit in the 64-65 models, but with some caveats. The front end in front of the wheels is a bit shorter. The 65 models had the 232 available, but it used a special short shaft water pump and pulley, which was also used on the CJ-5 (NOT CJ-7!). If you ordered AC and the 232  AC trumped and you got a 195.6 instead, as the radiator is moved forward (easy enough to do) and there is no room between the radiator and grille for an AC condensor when equipped with the 232. That's why the re-design in 66 -- mostly to lengthen the front end.

If you run across a good deal on a 64-65 American, even with the flathead, it might be a consideration. Run around a bit on the original engine, then swap in a 199/232/258/4.0L later. Most parts interchange among all 64-69 Americans (just called Rambler in 69, Rogue models apply here also), at least mechanical parts. Body parts differ some due to the 66 design change, of course.

Edited by farna - May/10/2021 at 7:26am
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 11:24pm
My opinion, worth what you paid for it, refund available at the door --

The 232/258 six in dead-stock trim is not short of power all by itself. People of a certain age (mine) tend to think in terms of there is no such thing as too much power, and a six, ugh, it's not even a V8.

If you measure everything about a car in terms of its quarter-mile drag performance, OK fine. Who does that? A tiny minority (for whom it's a blast and a reason to live). Do you? I don't. Cars are an integrated package.

AMC sixes have a lot of TORQUE. Torque is what you feel when you mash the gas pedal. Torque is good. The 258 will satisfy all but the drag-race car crowd. Start there. A stock motor RUNNING WELL is a fine thing; and if it's not running well (worn out, etc) then hopping it up with gear will not help it.

Start with stock and make it go. Its a process, not an end.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic