TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Camber Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2021 at 10:59pm
Oh Hey Mark, I didn't recognize your forum name! Did you change it or am I merely getting forgetful?! 

Setting camber in theory isn't hard -- but after 40 years the bolt gets frozen, the lower arm is reluctant to move, wrenching it pushes the tabs off, etc. At this point a car you want to keep for a while warrants disassembly and rebuild.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2021 at 2:22am
Techs have become so bad that I measure how good one is based on how quietly and thoroughly they listen to me when I tell them what I want and how I want it done. Alignments are my least favorite thing to trust other people to do on my car. I've gotten pretty good at doing a "tape measure and bubble level" alignment at home....

I hand them photo-copied pages from the factory service manual and say, "These are the alignment specifications that I want you to set my car to. These pages show you where all the adjustment points are, how to do them, bolt torque specs, etc. If you have any questions or need any help, please just consult me. I know that front suspension well...I built it. I'll be here in the lobby the whole time if you need me."

Most of the time that doesn't go over too well. Most techs are convinced that they're the smartest people on Earth who know everything there is to know about every car and suspension ever made, so they just align it to whatever wonky specs they think is best then give me a party line of "the caster is not adjustable" which is horse plop. They also tend to be gruff older dudes who don't take kindly to anybody of my age and appearance saying anything other than "Yes, sir".

But some listen and understand that I mean no disrespect. I just expect it done right, and I have no problem paying them extra if that is what it takes. I cling to those techs like they are messengers from heaven. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2021 at 6:41am
you've never explained which way the camber is off.
In too much at the top,  or at the bottom of the wheel ?

If it's in too much at the top,  and beyound the adjustment at the camber bolt to correct.  The car could have been in a collision that bent the upper structure ,  or just a general weakness from age and rust, just the weight of the front end eventually pushes the front spring towers closer together.

Bent upper or lower arms will also effect camber, toe, and caster.

After you adjust camber,  you'll also have to reset your toe-in.

Edited by tyrodtom - Feb/26/2021 at 6:43am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic