TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AC Hose Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Hose Replacement
    Posted: Feb/18/2021 at 5:53am
 I am restoring a 70 AC system that was still fully connected when removed. I have a new condenser, rebuilt dryer, new pump, and new expansion valve, the original hoses all look good except for some light oxidation on the metal end fittings that I cleaned up, should I replace the hoses?

J
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2021 at 8:22am
I did. I went to the newer freon. R-34a

SC
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2021 at 12:12pm
Yes, replace the hoses. A reputable shop can remove the original ends from your hoses if they do not have exact replacements and reinstall them in new hoses.

If you feel like learning more search for AC in a 70 Javelin on this forum.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2021 at 3:09pm
I asked the very same question at a local Tune-up and Air Conditioning Service Shop. The owner said if the system holds pressure the hoses do not need replacing. I have used his ac services several times. He then took me to his daily driver, a 1960's Thunderbird. He opened the hood, and pointed at the York a/c compressor and said, "those are the original hoses". He also said he had a stash of R12 and would be glad to recharge the system. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2021 at 8:15am
 I have a batch of parts ready for plating I will have the metal ends of the lines plated, if the hoses come out good I will use reuse them. I am just finishing the restoration of the heater and AC box so far going good.

J
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2021 at 8:54am
If the system remains leak free then stay with the R-12 as long as you can get it. While these AMC systems can get quite cold with R-12, the air flow volume and distribution (only the two center dash vents) is marginal at best. There are two rubber floor cooling tubes but these are essentially useless. Just make sure your a/c blower motor is working freely to get the best air flow volume you can.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2021 at 10:22am
 Yeah the two center ducts do seem to be minimal not much option there to change things. I just did a short search on AC refrigerants anyone know if ZeroR will work in an older 1970 system?

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Feb/22/2021 at 5:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic