TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

hydraulic clutch kits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2021 at 9:00pm
This is going back some, but I believe you can swap early and late bearing retainers. Might be a cheaper option and allow you to keep your original.
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 6:56pm
AMC Buddies
Just got done looking at McLeod web site on hydrulic throwout bearings. Looked for T 10 trans and found what think will work for me. They have a NEW bolt on bearing 1301 that replaces the front bearing retainer. The only thing is from bell housing to clutch fingers it can not be more than 3 inches distance. I don't have anyway to measure mine everything is apart can one of you get that measurement for me. 1969 390 T 10 I think that measurement would be same for any 4 speed car. I think their fitment stated is for 1971 through 1974. T 10 cars. Maybe someone here has already used this throwout bearing they state that it is NEW but not when. That will solve the problem of finding bearing to match retainer.
Thanks in advance Larry

SC Rambler
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 7:19pm
All T10 were not the same, that is, I believe that the input shaft was a different length depending on whether it was an AMC T10, or a GM T10, or a Ford T10.  When I searched the Mcleod site for part #1301 it brought up a TO bearing for a GM T10 or super T10, I'm pretty sure that the GM input shaft is shorter than the AMC T10 input shaft.  Call Mcleod to make sure it will work on an AMC T10.  I have a Mcleod TO bearing in my 66 American with T10, and as I recall the distance was more than 3".
1966 American HT, 401 with STR 11, T10
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1975 Hornet Hatchback, 440 c.i. stroked 401, to be an LSR race car
1930 Essex coupe, to be a 401 with 3 deuces, TKX 5 speed, hot rod
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 12:42pm
AMC Buddies
Thanks for all the input. 
I emailed Silver Sport and got a quote on Tremec 5 speed TKX with bell housing hydrualic clutch and everything needed. One stop shopping will make it easier. Just got to dig up the $$$. 

I do need some input on Hydrualic clutches and pressure plate I have a new flywheel from AMP that will take 10.5" or 11".  I am building 442 stroker so need a clutch that can handle 500 to 600 hp.  Left leg is not in the best of shape. So there is concern about Hydrualic clutch and pressure that it takes to operate. 

Let me know about the Siver Sport and also Tiltion or even the McLeod throwout bearings and what master clynder you are using. Really need an easy leg push if not one of you will have to drive me around.
LOL
Through my research I have found that the best throwout bearing are the ones that have a constant contact with pressure plate fingers. And also diaphram fingers are the best for that application. 
Block has been bored 20 over just waiting on pistons Race Tec  
RNR Custom Engines have done the boreing and ordered custom pistoms for me. They will also do crankshaft lathe turning to get the weight close before drilling.
Thanks in advance Larry
SC Rambler
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by 390amx1 390amx1 wrote:

Silver sport has a nice kit as others have said with the adapter specific to AMC to mate the master to the firewall.  The kit uses Wilwood masters.  I also changed out the master that came with the kit to a smaller bore.  The masters direct from Wilwood are reasonable if you wanted to change it out after the kits install (like under $70).  But suggest if you buy from SS you may want them to change it out from the kit to the smaller bore right upfront.  I believe the kit has a 3/4" bore and I went to 5/8" bore.  Frankly if I could find one I would go with a 1/2" bore.  At the 5/8" bore the pedal still is pretty hard to push (slightly less effort than a stock mechanical linkage and a B&B stock clutch) and doesn't have much feathering ability.  As others have said installing the master with the engine in the car is difficult but not impossible.  I did one with the engine out and one with it in.  Anyway If anyone knows of someone that can fabricate a 1/2" bore master with a Wilwood bolt pattern, please advise. 

390amx1 Just got done looking at Wilwood website they do have a 1/2 inch bore size compact remote master cylinder that you asked about part no. 260-15088. I do plan on having Silver Sport provide my TKX 5 speed for my 1969 SC Rambler install. 

Therefore I have a question does the smaller bore make for an lighter peddle push. Not sure if I understand that. 

Also what about using American powertrain with there adjustable brackets to mount master cylinder it looks like there mounting brackets have more adjustments for a better fit. Only want to buy kit once.
I do like Silver Sport hydrualic throwout bearing designed better I think.
Thanks Larry  
No motor yet so firewall it is open for install. 
SC Rambler
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 9:15pm
Here's some pics of my Silver Sport hyd clutch install.  I was unaware of the difference in mc sizes and have not driven it yet so cannot comment on operation ease/difficulty.  And the interior shots make it look like the bolt will contact the brake pedal arm...I don't remember a problem during install but will definitely check it out next time I'm at the shop.

From the top:

From the bottom: You can see its a 0.75

Reservoir:

Inside:

With rod:

Bill O.
70 AMX
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 12:31am
Looks real close to the brake, maybe need a different bolt or stud and turn around that spacer to give clearance, there should be a bolt with smaller head.  Will look at my clutch and brake assembly tomorrow to see how close together they are. Not sure if the clutch and brake assemblies are the same on my SC Rambler as AMX. I am sure some here on Forum will know if the same.
Thanks for the pictures Larry
SC Rambler
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 5:48am
I have some images of a S10 master that is similar to the setup shown. I am using it like a clutch system on my build, but its for additional independant front brakes.

The big difference is it is angled a wee differently and has straight fittings.

Both AMC and GM pedals mount the rod in between both arms. There are no issues with clearances, as long as you mount the stud appropriately to the actuation of the master rod. I would show my pedal setup but it is a GM conversion.

https://theamcforum.com/forum/uploads/1422/PSX_20171008_045443.jpg

https://theamcforum.com/forum/uploads/1422/PSX_20170911_070327.jpg

https://theamcforum.com/forum/uploads/1422/PSX_20170911_070720.jpg

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/17/2021 at 5:56am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2021 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Ramzilla Ramzilla wrote:

Looks real close to the brake, maybe need a different bolt or stud and turn around that spacer to give clearance, there should be a bolt with smaller head.  Will look at my clutch and brake assembly tomorrow to see how close together they are. Not sure if the clutch and brake assemblies are the same on my SC Rambler as AMX. I am sure some here on Forum will know if the same.
Thanks for the pictures Larry

I checked it out.  There is plenty travel clearance.  The bolt/pedal doesn't travel far enough for it to contact the brake.  tried it several times.  Now, as for pressure/resistance....its quite a bit more than my mechanical set up was.  So we'll see how long I last before changing to a different master.
Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic