TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Twin Grip very tight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2021 at 9:07am
Ill give that a try before breaking into the hardware

Edited by IB Sorgn - Jan/30/2021 at 9:41am
Madd X
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2021 at 9:11am
[QUOTE=madams]Don't want to overlook the obvious, but I assume you put the limited-slip additive in the oil or used an oil that already included it.[/QUOTe

I stated that I did in my post.
Madd X
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Was the carrier rebuilt recently? I did one several years ago and missed removing one of the discs so it was bound up when I reassembled it. Same behavior your describing.

The axle nuts have nothing to do with it. There is no adjustment on the carrier to set the friction plates, they're simply sandwiched together when the two halves of the carrier are bolted together.

-Steve-

I believe about 400 miles ago according to the previous owner.  I don't know what you are referring to concerning axle nuts but I now understand there is no physical adjustment.  I also understand  there are some discs that are concaved and must be placed properly.
Madd X
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2021 at 9:27am
Originally posted by troutwilly troutwilly wrote:

Just another thought.
You said you added the limited slip fluid.  Did you add enough? And maybe adding just a little more will give the slippage you desire.
Years ago I got tired of my truck having trouble in the sand and mud so I replaced the diff fluid and added less slip fluid than called for.  Worked like a charm.  Kind of the opposite result you're looking for but an idea.

I added the prescribed amount. So if anything there maybe too much if there was LSF present. Either way it didn't change anything.
Madd X
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2021 at 9:32am
Originally posted by iapexl8r iapexl8r wrote:

if the axles were swapped they may require triming. there is a possibility that this may be an issue caused by the axles being to long. I have done a few of the Moser solid axle mods and I recall something in the instructions about them possibly needing trimmed.  just my 2 cents

Chris

Never asked whether the carrier and axles were done at the same time but I would assume so.  If the axles were too long would that cause other behavior issues ?
Madd X
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2021 at 9:39am
I very much appreciate your comments and will investigate each.   Once I get this problem resolved I will post the solution.  Right now I'm leaning toward incorrect assembly and/or incorrect clutch pack parts causing the twin grip to be too tight.
Madd X
madmax View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2021 at 9:47am
i have run into this before, some of the clutch packs that you can buy for rebuild include 2 plates that are too thick for the amc twin grip. doctor diff sells the correct clutch pack, you have to click the oem 2 thin disk option.    here is good informational thread on the forum about twin grip rebuilding.

American Heavy Metal

restoration parts and mechanical restoration services

70 amx black
1968 kaplan amx ss/racecar
1969 amx racecar
1970 trans am javelin
1969 amx white/platinum
1972 gremlin
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2021 at 11:34am
Originally posted by madmax madmax wrote:

i have run into this before, some of the clutch packs that you can buy for rebuild include 2 plates that are too thick for the amc twin grip. doctor diff sells the correct clutch pack, you have to click the oem 2 thin disk option.    here is good informational thread on the forum about twin grip rebuilding.

Is there a way to tell whether the disc is the correct size other than having something to compare against, especially if you don't have an OEM for comparison?     

Madd X
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 4:35pm
Okay, tore into the differential and found there were no dish discs in the unit.  Merely replaced the flat discs with the proper dish discs and all is well.  Had an old hotrodder tell me that this is how they would modify the twin grips to reduce potential slip back in the day.  This modification helped confirm my belief that this car was being used to race. 
Madd X
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 8:09am
Excellent!  Thanks for closing the loop.  Thumbs Up
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic