TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pinion Gear for Powermaster 9515 Starter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2022 at 6:30am
You need to push it in towards the starter, there is a snap ring inside inside the collar on the front of the gear that you need to uncover to remove if that makes sense.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Grey Ghost View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 10:00pm
Just putting this out there, a friend of mine has broken 2 starters on his Javelin, when he called Powermaster and complained they said their starters are not recommended on motors with over 30 degrees of locked timing.

Lets go racing!
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 1:49am
That’s a lot of timing at cranking speed, good potential to kick back and break the starter. Might be better running really soft advance springs so it goes to max advance immediately after starting if that’s what he wants.

Of course that doesn’t make up for the crappy Powermaster pinion gears if that’s what’s breaking.
mweidmann401 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mweidmann401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2022 at 7:24am
Hi (I am new in this forum)
Same issue with my starter running a quit stock AMC 360 High Compresion out from a 71 Javelin, now in a 76 CJ7. Pinion brocke after short while, car never have seen the road.
Powermaster never have replied after first mail.
Fixed it with new pinion from the Aussie shop mentioned earlier.

Be care! First I tried fix it with orignial powermaster parts, I bought the replacement part #611 from them . It seems there are two versions arround and pictures are different, all of this don't fit to our application :-(

Keep jeeping!
Michael

Edited by mweidmann401 - Oct/02/2022 at 7:35am
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2022 at 3:21pm
They must have changed the design since I bought mine. It has been cranking a 13.5:1 compression engine in my spirit with 38 degrees of locked out timing for 15 years with no issues.

Best starter I have ever owned for an AMC and clears the headers/pan/feed lines perfectly.

Hope it never craps out on me !

:)
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
PAGAENT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PAGAENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2022 at 7:17pm
I avoided starter problems on my 14.7:1 engine with 42 locked deg. by cranking the engine before turning on the ignition. 235 lbs cranking compression.
Pat Gary
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2022 at 8:47am
I used powermaster at first. Split a couple gears. then decided to go with robmac starter on the hornet, worst decision ever!   i had 3 of the robmac's. no one should ever get so good at r and r  a starter on a small body car with 2 inch headers in 13 minites...
It cost me lots of entry $$$ lost racing it, because you would never know when the robmac would fail.
I ended up finding a couple Tilton Super starters, and have been using it for years....
I do crank the engine before i flip on the ignition.

Tilton disc. them a couple decades ago tho.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2022 at 5:12pm
I toasted another Powermaster pinion gear recently (different starter), good thing I bought two of the CAE Performance replacement gears:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic