TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 ambassador heater/blower hose routing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfcwilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 ambassador heater/blower hose routing
    Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 10:38am
Hello everyone, 

I have an AMC 360 in my 73 ambassador. The PO disconnected all the blower related hoses and I'm trying to figure out how to recreate the original setup. The manual shows one hose leading from the top right nipple into the intake manifold but there is no place for it to go on my motor. Overall I have five holes that hoses clearly need to occupy but the tsm doesn't clearly lay out how they should be connected. You have the two nipples, the hole covered with tape on the firewall immediately beneath those nipples, the hole in the round black thing covered with tape, and a hole in what I assume is the heater blower. Please let me know if you have any ideas.  https://app.photobucket.com/u/jfcwilson/p/7d4f87ed-12a4-4e26-8f72-e70f36c55393 - https://app.photobucket.com/u/jfcwilson/p/7d4f87ed-12a4-4e26-8f72-e70f36c55393

Thanks!

Edited by jfcwilson - Jan/14/2021 at 10:44am
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 6:11pm
The the first thing you'll want to correct is to install the heater supply nipple in the back of the intake manifold.
Heater hose routing is as follows: Intake manifold to heater control valve input side. Heater control valve output side to heater core input on firewall. Heater core output back to nipple on side of water pump near alternator. On my 67 Ambassador the heater output/return hose is routed over to clamping bracket on the carb. choke housing before returning to water pump. It could be different on your 73.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 12:58am
The input side of the heater valve is the hose barb pointing off to the side towards the engine. That connects with a hose to the intake manifold. The barb that points straight out of the heater valve goes to the inlet of the heater core.

It's important. I once plumbed the heater valve backwards and found out that the force of the water pump at higher RPM pushed the valve shut, turning off the heat. It sucked on the highway. You don't want that. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 5:28am
The hole in the blower box covered with tape is not a water connection. There is a hose that goes from the hole in the blower motor to the hole covered in tape. That hose is available from APD and its purpose is to cool the blower motor. Also Those heater diverter valves are hard to find anymore. Here is a pic from a Matador I used to own that may help with the hose routing if you can make it out

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 7:30am
Once you get everything together and plumbed correctly you'll need to fill the system and purge it to remove air. The heater valve and hoses are higher than the top of the radiator so you'll want to jack the front of the car up high enough to get the radiator top tank higher than the heater valve. Fill the radiator/system and get the engine fully warmed up to make sure you have good flow through the heater core.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2021 at 1:40am
There is a easier way.

Just disconnect one of the hoses at the heater valve and hold it higher than the heater valve. Doesn't matter which one. Push the heater control to the full hot position to open the valve. Now fill the radiator until coolant comes out the heater valve and quickly shove the hose on. Continue filling the radiator. Disconnecting the hose allows air to escape as you fill the radiator, so no air pockets are formed. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
jfcwilson View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfcwilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 5:58am
Thank you all! I should be able to work it out now
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic