TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - cleaning silver engine turned door and dash pieces
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cleaning silver engine turned door and dash pieces

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Project Lazarus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cleaning silver engine turned door and dash pieces
    Posted: Jan/09/2021 at 9:24am
I am new to TheAMCForum.  I will be seeking help with the resurrection of "Lazarus" (my newly acquired 72 Javelin AMX).  This is something totally new for me.   My first post and question -  how should I clean up door and dash engine turned silver sections which turned yellow color on dash sections?  what cleaner and technique would anyone recommend?
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2021 at 3:30pm
I used aluminum polish , you will need a gritter ( HD ) polish to get the yellow off . Then switch to a light duty polish as soon as you see silver below , Do not stay in one spot too long or use heavy pressure . You need to do this in 3 or 4 light steps to get it where you want it . If you polish too hard or fast you will erase the metal swirles  underneath the grime . take your time . Your going to want to repaint ( by hand ) the red accent lines around the edges to get it looking it's best .

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2021 at 3:50pm
If this is nicotine tar, things will go faster with mineral spirits or varsol. Don't go wild and scrub using it, just wipe with a rag. You will be there for weeks trying to polish off nicotine tar if that is what your dealing with.
I went through a gallon of varsol to clean the interior of the Father in laws little Ford Ranger. 2+ packs a day.
Project Lazarus View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Project Lazarus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2021 at 11:09am
Thank you so much for your ideas 68-73 AMX and Trader!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic